Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dinner Time
sarah0323 posted:
What time do you have dinner?

With school starting back I have really been trying to have dinner earlier. I don't get home from work until 6:00. I come in and take 5 minutes then I normally start dinner. Depending on what it is dinner isn't usually until 7:00. Unless I do crockpot meals I just don't know how to get it any earlier. I have tried to do freezer meals in the past (where you cook for a week and then freeze) I honestly didn't get dinner on the table any faster. I also pre chop most veggies so I don't actually have to chop when cooking. What are some time savings tips?

My DD has been helping lately with dinner but her cooking abilities need more time to develop.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle responded:
I don't know how working parents do it.

I start cooking around 5, and we eat about 5:30. After dinner, we clean up and do homework. We are done with that by about 6:15, then it's play until 7. There are many nights we start showers and bedtime at 7. Elizabeth is still adjusting to Kindergarten, and is extra tired at night.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

kc_94920 responded:
My kids would be chewing their own fists if they had to wait much past 5 for dinner. When the sitter is here with the younger two (2-3 evenings a week) she often feeds them at 4:45. On those nights DH and I eat with DD1 after tennis or taekwondo at 6:15-6:30. When I'm here I try and have everything ready and on the table by 5:15. This barely gives DH enough time to park his car and wash his hands but it the timing really does mean the difference between a nice family dinner or a big hot mess.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

baby1at35 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I agree I do not know how working parents do it either. When I go to work I imagine the crock pot will be my friend. I am asking for a new crock pot for Christmas.
I cook around 5:00 pm as well. We do homework right after school or while I am cooking they are at the table. We eat around 5:45 ish. Then play time until bath's at 7:00 or 7:30.
Bedtime is 8pm now but can be 7:30 when they are so exhausted.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

sarah0323 replied to baby1at35's response:
I'm going today to get a new crock pot. I made a roast with all the veggies. Put it in the crockpot this morning and it wouldn't get warm. I can't complain though. I've had it for 3 years and I use it at least once a week.

My kids come home from school and have what I call a "mini" meal. This is the only way they can eat so late. The kids work on homework when they get home from school. I check it over and sign it while I'm cooking. The kids pretty much eat dinner then get a bath and bed. Bedtime is 7:30 or 8:00 depending on how tired they are.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

cinder44 responded:
I get off between 4-4:30. Thank goodness for DH - he helps a lot. He is either off work by 3pm or getting up from sleeping from the night shift so he can start dinner while I am getting the DC from daycare. The nights he is on 3-11pm I try to do quick meals, like ham & rice, fish sticks, toasted cheese. But we usually eat around 5:30-6 & start baths around 7 with bedtime from 8-8:30pm.
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to cinder44's response:
DH does most of the food shopping and cooking or it would be cold cereal or grilled cheese every night.

I work 6 am, usually off by 2 pm. Both girls are home from school around 3:30 pm and I make a substantial "no cooking involved" snack - chips/hummus, cheese, fruit, cut up veggies, almonds, etc. That's when bath/showers happen.

We all sit down together for dinner around 7 pm. Brush teeth, books, bed very shortly after that - they are usually asleep by 8:00.

It's not ideal but DH feels left out when we've all had dinner and he gets home and I like us all to be together at least once during the day (doesn't always happen).

On weekends, we eat much earlier.

Haylen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Currently in Rhode Island, DH is active duty military. We've been here a bit over a year, it's our 5th duty station since we were married 11 y...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.