Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying for 20K steps today
seeit2 posted:
This board has been kinda dead and I am bored today so I'm going to bore you guys with my step goal. I ran 4.75 miles this morning and then went grocery shopping. I've got over 14,000 steps wracked up on my pedometer so far. My daily record is in the 17,000 range. DH and I always say we want to get to 20K some day, so today I figured I'd give it a try. I'm really going to have to work at it this afternoon and I'm already tired, so we'll see how it goes. DH is giving me all the extra grunt work around the house in his effort to "encourage" me (like, he let me unload all of the groceries, the big sweetie).
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
GO GIRL! Did you know 10,000 steps is approximately 5 miles? This I know because WebMD had an employee challenge to walk 10,000 steps a day. and we received all sorts of literature about the benefits of 10,000. (weight management, lower risk of diabetes, etc.)

I have a pedometer that uploads to my laptop and I can see all the steps the teams in Atlanta, NY and Portland were taking. I consider myself a very active person and I was SHOCKED how hard I had to work to get in those steps!

It really changed the way I move around. I now wear my walking shoes most of the time (bye, bye flip flops). I get to my kids school early so I can zoom around the park, take the farthest parking space at stores and try and zip around the block a few times during my work day (hard when it's 100!).

I wish they would have another challenge because I'm slacking!

H

p.s. LOL "unloading the groceries"

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
p.s. can you tell your post was not boring to me at all?!?!?

mrswhitecastle responded:
How nice of your husband.....

Sounds like a great goal to have. Let us know what your final total is!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I took the extra-long way to school to get DD and did some stuff around the house with DS so now I'm up to 17079.

Haylen - I have a Fitbit, which also uploads to a website but I have no friends to compete with, except DH...I am totally slacking in recording my food but I am religious about wearing it for the steps. It also records the number of stairs I climb, which is easy to accomplish in my house these days. And I agree, it has really changed the way I do things, it's awesome.

seeit2 replied to seeit2's response:
Took the kids to the park and walked laps while they played and we all walked to this creek and fed some turtles. Now I'm at 20,640...and still going.

seeit2 replied to seeit2's response:
So my grand total for the day was 21515! my feet hurt so bad lol! Slept like a rock though - thank goodness my running program says today is a rest and stretch day, I need it bad.

baby1at35 replied to seeit2's response:
Great job !
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
That's awesome!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 replied to seeit2's response:
Great Job!!
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the father of two girls, aged 4 and 6.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.