Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My latest experiment
mrswhitecastle posted:
Well, my yogurt experiment gave me enough courage to try something else. Today, I made and canned jam! My mom came over to watch/help since she had done it when she was growing up. The girls helped cut up and clean the strawberries and raspberries. We had so much fun! The house smells amazing right now, too. All of the jar lids did their thing, and the stuff we tasted was AMAZING, so I would call it another success!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
Yay MrsW! You are becoming quite the Becky Home-Ecky lol. I'd love to hear how you are making jam - my MIL does it every year and sends us a big box of jars, blueberry is our fave. I've never tried it myself though.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

sarah0323 responded:
WOOHOOO!!! Canning is fairly easy. Homemade jam and jellies taste so much better than store bought. I've only done a few batches of jelly this year. I will do alot more before Christmas though.

Our farmers market sells 4 oz for $5.00 of jelly/jam. My SO always trys to buy them and I'm like why. They barely have $5.00 of ingrediants in their whole batch. Jelly is really easy to make just takes a little time.

Now you need to make some homemade bread to go with the jam. I might just have to make bread this weekend. That sounds good to me right now.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Ha - Becky Home-Ecky. As I was standing over the stove stirring the berries, I was thinking to myself, "Who is this person standing in my kitchen, wearing an apron, actually canning???"

It was SSSOOO easy, though. The longest part was just getting all that water to boil. From start to finish, it took us about 2 hours, and that included making 2 types of jam. Well, and me re-reading the instructions about 20 gazillion times.

I was going to make a batch of bread dough, but ran out of time this morning. I'll probably just do some easy drop biscuits for dinner to go with the jelly.

Sarah - What all do you can? My mom wants me to do some tomatoes next.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I can all summer long and into the winter. I mostly do hot water bath but do have a pressure canner. Also, I normally do tomotoes and or salsa every year but other items I may not depending on what I have on hand.

So Far this year:
Apple Butter
Apple Sauce (Cinnamon and plain)
Apple Rings
Apple Pie Filling
Apple Pie in a jar (ice cream topping) (I have 3 apple trees)
Salsa
Tomatoes
Tomatoe Juice
Cucumber Rings
Pickle Relish
Bread & Butter Pickles
Spag Sauce (though I don't think it is worth the time)
Peach Pie Filling
Peaches
Beets
Pickled Beets
Potatoes

All kinds of jellies and jams (I make about 10 kinds total) Unless I can get a good deal on fresh fruit I use frozen. It usually comes out cheaper and I can make it any time of the year.

My MIL and I will can just about anything at least once. I hate to see good food go to waste.

Tomatoes are really easy. They just take time. Blanch, remove skins, chop (if desiered) add salt some lemon juice or citric acid and seal. (They will sometimes turn pink when they have been setting for a long time) When I was learning to can when I was younger my grandma started me on tomatoes. She told me that's what she learned with so that's what she started everyone on. If you are really interested I would recommend getting a Ball Blue Book. Even if you pick up an older copy I think it is well worth the information. USDA (I think) also is a good resource for canning information. They have a "cookbook" that you can print for free with all kinds of recipes for canning. My biggest fear is still making someone sick. When in doubt I will toss something rather than chance it.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Getting married in 3 weeks to my hunny who ive been with for 6 years. We have a soon to be 5 year old son together, and we are expecting baby number 2...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.