Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does your school teach cursive writing?
kc_94920 posted:
I was chatting with my girlfriend who has a son the same age as DD1 (9) and the topic of cursive writing in school came up. I was shocked to hear that her kids' school no longer really teaches it. Her older boy is going into 6th grade and can kind of read cursive but not write it. Apparently they have too much to teach and have had to push this aside to make time for teaching computer skills and added practice time for standardized testing.

DD1 learned cursive last year in 3rd grade and DS will learn next year, just as I did. It didn't take long at all and seems like it's a rather important skill for many reasons. I mean I get that they won't write as much as we did given all the texting, typing and emailing they will do but come on, everyone should have an actual signature, right?

Do you know if your DC's school teaches cursive? Do you care?
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

mrswhitecastle responded:
Yes, thank goodness. There are many schools around here that do not teach it, so the question comes up at the beginning of almost every school year. DD will learn it next year in 3rd grade. If the school didn't teach it, I would teach the girls myself.

When I was young, I switched schools at the end of 2nd grade. My old school taught cursive in 3rd, but the new school had already taught it. So, the school gave me some sheets to practice and I taught myself over the Summer break. It really isn't that difficult. I think it is something that every school should teach.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 responded:
Yes. We learn it in 3rd grade. Jacob is already working on learning cursive this year. The teachers have asked us not to teach them but to let them show the kids the proper way.

Around here I haven't heard of any schools not teaching it. They may have all those other technologies but really how much do they use them in school? My daughter is hand writing their notes at school durning lectures. They do their work on a laptop but don't do notes that way. Now I wish she would practice more on her handwritting style but that's a whole other topic.

I remember being so excited to learn cursive. It seemed like we were more "grown" when we finally learned.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle replied to sarah0323's response:
I thought I was the only one excited to learn cursive. It was so grown-up and pretty!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I remember practicing for hours to get it just write. I still get comments today about how legible my writing is.

kc_94920 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I loved it too! It was such a big milestone for me. Mady felt the same way and really enjoyed learning more than her name (which she instsited I teach her before she went into K). DS is still perfecting his printing and definately lacks the "love" of writing I saw in DD but he's got another year yet.

Anytime I get into a discussion like this with friends who have kids in school districts that are struggling to offer things that my kids take for granted, I feel so blessed to have the school we have. She was floored that my kids also get computers, several foreign languages, dance, drama. PE, music and art.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Personally dislike handwriting, always have!

My daughters PT said that kids who don't crawl miss out on important hand/eye coordination skills, frequently have weaker hands and a harder time with handwriting. Has anyone heard of this? (I think someone on her is a PT)

Neither my daughter nor I crawled...went right to cruising, walking. We both have terrible handwriting, dislike doing it and our hands get tired. I'll have to search on WebMD to see if there's any evidence to back that up!

Also, I'm left handed and in a 1st grade, the teacher tried to make me right handed! Of course, my parents said NO but every desk at that school were right handed. I never felt comfortable with handwriting at all. Typing and spell check is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I'm jealous of people with beautiful handwriting! It really is a skill!

Haylen

Mom2Emma23 responded:
DD is only in kinder so I haven't thought of this. I hope her school teaches it , if not, I will! How strange to not teach it!
Sarah, Dh, Emma (5), Delilah (born still at 21 weeks) March 5 2012

sarah0323 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have 2 lefties. The school has tried to make both of them rightes. Not happening. Cris is now so confused he tries to write with both hands. I had an IEP meeting this morning and the OT lady will not be trying any more with the right hand. I was set on that. Not an issue with the desks yet but I know in JH and HS that will be an issue.

It is interesting on the crawling thing. None of my boys crawled and their handwritting is terrible. I hadn't heard that before. HMMM I'm going to have to research that later in my spare time. I wonder if there are things you could do to help with the hand/eye coordination.

mrswhitecastle replied to sarah0323's response:
Waving to my fellow lefties....

No one ever tried to make me left handed. Why in the world would they try to change it? I know it's a right handed world, but we learn to adapt.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

mrswhitecastle replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I mean, no one ever tried to make me RIGHT handed. sheesh.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I always thought that was just one of the surprises. Like is it a boy or a girl? Not something you can change just something that you have to adapt to. It would be easier for the teachers if he was a right handed but he isn't so don't confuse him any more and make him do things that he just can't.

With ALOT of practice I can write pretty good with my left hand. I wanted to learn though so I could teach my boys. It is something that I have to think about to do though. By no means does it come naturally. So why would they think that it would come naturally for him.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to sarah0323's response:
WHOA! That is still happening??? I thought it was a strange, Catholic nun school in the 70s sort of thing!

I have to go to a fundraiser - Chuck E Cheese - but I'm going to google when I get back!

H

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather (29) and have been married for about 6 1/2 years to my DH (32). We got married on our 8th anniversary. We have two beautiful boys. ...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.