Skip to content
Volunteer opportunities
tlkittycat1968 posted:
DS' school sent home a folder detailing the wonderful volunteer opportunities available along with a request for $10. They also asked we register our shopper cards so they can get credit for that as well. I do plan on volunteering and so does grandma. They have to do a background check.

It's going to be a busy year.

baby1at35 responded:
I filled out all the paperwork as well. Not sure how much I can in the next few months with my work picking up but once it slows down I should be able to help more.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

tlkittycat1968 replied to baby1at35's response:
Luckily, I have a great supervisor who lets me have time off for kid stuff. I'm in accounting and our busy time is during the summer so I'm pretty much in the clear there.

My mom was active in our classrooms when we were younger. She worked nights and would be laid off for 3 months out of the year so she had the time. I don't have the luxury of working nights or being laid off (not sure if that's a luxury) but I'll do what I can.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Twice a year, one class room is responsible for morning traffic duty and Friday pizza sales.

DH always does traffic - he loves to wear the orange vest and be in charge. I always do the pizza sales although it is a complete, crazy mob scene. But it's fun to see all the kids that I know from being there for 3 years!

Our public school asks for $500 a year from every family. We pay that up front and forget about all the other fundraisers. I've leaned to say "no".

Haylen

iocasta responded:
At Levi's school there is an expectation of lots of volunteering and giving to the annual campaign and the capital campaign. Beside the standard home room type volunteering, there are a plethora of other things to volunteer for like: bring monthly treats to the faculty and staff; lunchroom monitors so teachers don't have to; working on the annual campaign fundraiser; working on the annual benefit dinner, which has several subcommittees; working on the parent organization . . . . I'm working on the annual campaign committee and get to work over new families to give as much as they possibly can to the fund. DH and I plan on hosting a couple of cocktail parties to achieve this. People are always looser with their purse after a couple of drinks.

UKbluegirl2 replied to iocasta's response:
We have a plethora of volunteer activities. Of course there are always some families that do more than others.

We just wrapped up our Innisbrook drive. We sold (I bought) a bunch of wrapping paper and nice candies. This is my least favorite drive.

We are having our annual Oktoberfest this weekend. It is a festival on the school/church grounds. We have 10 big tops filled with games, music, poker, beer and food! I cannot wait!

We also do a Big Blue Fling in March. This is held at a nicer local restaurant with everyone in coctail attire. Tickets are pricey and limited. It always sells out. They have food, drinks, as well as a live and silent auction.

The 8th grade does numerous other fund raisers to fund their 8th grade trip. There are numerous 'out of uniform' days throughout the year which require $1 donation to the 8th grade trip. So far they've also hit us up for the Tervis mugs with our school logo and mums.

Then there are various opportunities to volunteer in the classroom. I've signed up for field trips and parties.

I'm exhausted now! But because our school is private with no state funding, the parents really do give the support they can in addition to the tuition. Our school is awesome!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I volunteered for quite a few of the events. Pretty much if it was in the evening or on a weekend, I volunteered. My mom will probably volunteer as well. We'll also have to sell some items cush as braided bread and cookie dough. I know they'll have a jog-a-thon in the spring as they did last year and it's already on the schedule this year.

I like volunteering so I don't mind. I even volunteered to be a chaperone for field trips so that should be fun. I helped with one field trip when DS was in pre-school and that was fun.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.