Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cat bites
iocasta posted:
For those that don't realize this, they are serious things if the bite is a deep puncture type. The other evening I was brushing one of our old girls (18 years old). She hates to be brushed but with her advanced age her grooming isn't the best. I put it off as long as I could stand. Anyway, I didn't hold her head properly at one point and she got my thumb. A deep puncture to the meat of the thumb and along the nail bed. It smarted but I didn't think anything about it. I washed it, put an anti-bacterial ointment on it and went to bed. The next morning the thumb was red and swollen. I look up cat bites on the internet and learned that you should seek immediate medical attention for the type of bite I got. Delay in seeking such attention could result in having to resort to IV drip antibiotics. Fortunately, I'm just on some scary high power ones with list of side effects as long as my arm. The up side is I'm protected from anthrax and the plague right now. I still can't use my right thumb but likely I'm left handed. So take warning.

kristinmarie722 responded:
Oh wow! Glad you looked it up!

My boss fosters cats and she adopted one out to a friend. the cat then bite the friend but he didnt think anything about it. He ended up passing out at work and had to have an IV and was in the hospital because of some infection.

I have 3 cats and thankfully none of them have bite.
DS- 7/4/2005

mrswhitecastle responded:
Ouch! I hope it heals quickly.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

UKbluegirl2 responded:
Had no idea the bites could be this bad. Luckily mine have never bitten me.

Lefties rule!!

cinder44 responded:
I hope it feels better soon!
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

BekahS responded:
Im glad you looked into it and caught it early! I've seen this happen so many times working in the ER. Cats have a powerful bacteria that they so lovingly pass on in their bites. And right on your thumb next to the nail....ouch. Hope you heal soon!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to BekahS's response:
I hope you are pain free soon! Thank you for sharing this important info.

WebMD's own article on Animal and Human Bites says this about cat bites: "Cat bites usually cause deeper puncture wounds than dog bites and have a high risk for bacterial infection because they can be difficult to clean adequately."

A friend told me of her vet who was bitten by a cat. She aggressively cleaned the wound and still ended up having to wear an IV infusion pump of antibiotics for a week!

Haylen

baby1at35 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yikes. Hope it heals up quickly. I didn't know that either.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Beth and I have been married to my wonderful husband for almost 6 years. We have a 4 1/2 year old son and a 3 month old son. I am the accou...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.