Skip to content
mrswhitecastle posted:
Emily and I are going to do a 5K! (I figure if I post it here, it'll force me to actually sign up!) It's a run/walk, so we will do mostly walking. There is also a 10K at the same time, so we probably (hopefully!) won't come in last, either. If we are last, that's OK, too. She's 7.

Emily is so excited about it! We have been walking together the last couple of weekends, and she is seeing improvement. They run laps during PE. She used to come in last, but yesterday, she was 4th! She was so proud. She also likes that it's something just the 2 of us do together.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
GO MWC!

Now you're accountable to us to give your progress

Question - how did you find the 5k? I have a 7.5 year old and I think she would DIG this. Is it a fundraiser or through an organization?

Haylen

p.s What kind of shoes do you guys wear for foot support? My kiddo always says her feet hurt on PE day.

UKbluegirl2 responded:
That is so wonderful Mrs. W! It's so important that our children see us taking care of ourselves so that they learn healthy habits as well.

Last night, Ava and Wil did my Insanity workout with me. I've never laughed so hard..... They were both complaining about sweating and taking breaks. Ava kept asking me why I was so shiny.

Let us know how it goes!! You will not be last.

seeit2 responded:
That is awesome! How cool that the two of you get to do that together. It must be really nice to just get out and walk with her like that. Let us know how the training is going!
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

mrswhitecastle replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen - My trainer told me about the 5K and gave me a flyer. I have seen signs up around the community, though, that also advertise it.

Shoes are an issue for me right now. I'll let you in on a secret: Only once have I spent more than $15 for a pair of shoes. (It was for a pair of black boots that came up over my knee. They were $50, and I still love them after 12 years.) Anyway, my trainer is almost insisting I go buy good running shoes. I about had a heart attack when I see that they are $150. I'll probably break down and buy them, but it's just taking me awhile to get up the nerve to spend that much on shoes. Especially ones that aren't high heeled black boots!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

cinder44 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Way to go I hope you have fun!

I was having issues with the ball of my foot hurting. I thought I had spurs but the podiatrist said I needed these inserts in my shoes & the pain would go away. He was right! along with this he said stop buying cheap shoes. I was like you & only bought $15 shoes. I checked out a sports store close to me(Dunham's) & I found a shoe I liked for $29. I have bought 2 pairs & I run/walk in them. Maybe you could find something cheaper by going to a sports store or even to Sears.
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
If you want to spend the money on a good shoe (and personally I recommend it, especially if you think you'll keep going with the training) there is a great tool here to help you find a pair that will help instead of hurt - to get your money's worth:

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

Haylen - the same site can help you find a local 5K here :

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/racefinder/1,7151,s6-239-283-284-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

or just google "find a local 5K" and you'll find tons of stuff.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

UKbluegirl2 replied to seeit2's response:
I 2nd finding a good shoe. I have always replaced my running shoes every 6 months; but typically just picked up the latest and greatest for $50 or less at Dicks.

My knees and feet always hurt. But I'd complain to DH and forget it. He bought me a gift card for a local runner's shop for my birthday. Their shoes and gear are overpriced IMO, BUT I went and had an expert actually fit me for my running shoes. I had to end my love affair with Nike (they are actually horrible runners shoes from all accounts) and go with Brooks. It has made such a difference in my running! No pain!

Now 6 months later I plan on buying the same pair from 6pm or something like that hopefully at a discount.

baby1at35 replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
This is great ! Sounds like fun. I am not a runner. I want to be and I do all the other classes so not sure why I feel I couldn't do it.
It is tough right now to get exercise in though as I am working a lot more hours and just feel like I am having a hard time fitting it in.
I did on Friday night take a different yoga class while the boys did the bouncy house at the Y. And I am seriously sore. This gal taught a great class! I have to get cardio in so I need to clean off the exercise bike in the basement ! haha!
I didn't make it to step this morning. I needed to get some serious cleaning of the house done and the boys slept in.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.