Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reading brag
iocasta posted:
Levi has started to read the Magic Tree House books on his own accord. It so warms our hearts. I was hoping that he would begin to read these by the end of first grade not at the beginning. He read 51 books over the summer earning him a trip to the Rain Forest Cafe.

crunk05177 responded:
Wow amazing! Congrats to you and to him!
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

UKbluegirl2 responded:
That's awesome! I need to order those for Ava. Luckily I have a book order sitting on my desk.

Ava is doing so well with her reading as well. She is paired with the top 2 readers from last year in this year's reading group. And she is taking an accelerated reader test next week! I tried to blow it off and act like it's not a big deal. But my heart swells in secret. I'm a reader and I feel like enjoying and being a good reader and comprehender opens so many doors in school with studying, learning, etc.

mrswhitecastle responded:
That's great! First grade has just started -- he is doing amazing.

I'm struggling with trying to find a good series for Emily to read. She reached her 1st quarter reading goal the 2nd week of school. Progress reports came home last week, and she was at 220% of her goal. (Sorry, I turned your brag into mine!)

Do you have any other good suggestions on series to read?
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

iocasta replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Brag away! Reading is so important and should be lauded whenever possible.

What series has she read? What are her interests? Have you consulted with your school's libarian? Ours was able to list about a dozen books immediately off the top of his that he knew Levi would love.

kc_94920 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
That is so great! My oldest is a big reader and I can honestly tell you that learning to read independantly, was one of the biggest milestons in her young life. To her, it changed everything.

Logan is a great reader as well but does it because he is supposed to and not because he loves it, KWIM? He has never been overly excited about reading the assortment of 1st-3rd grade series that we bought for DD1 but he does enjoy listening to them. Much to my discust, he does enjoy titles like Captain Underpants, Junie B Jones, Oog and Gulg and Chicken Nugget Boy.

As for the series' we found entertaining, DD1 really enjoyed the A-Z Mysteries (she read all 26 in 1st grade), Nate the Great, the Rainbow Fairies (as well as the Sport, Weather and Color Fairies) and Katie Kazoo. In 2nd grade she moved on to Cat Wings, The Secrets of Droon, the Ronald Dahl books and anything with Ramona Quimby or Judy Moody in it.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

iocasta replied to kc_94920's response:
Levi just finished Roald Dahl's The Magic Finger. We are going to suggest Fanstatic Mr. Fox, next. He is also reading Nate The Great series but hasn't caught fire with it. He reads them but clearly doesn't love them like I thought he would.

mrswhitecastle replied to iocasta's response:
I just bought some of the Rainbow Fairies books from our last book order. Hopefully she will like them. She likes the Cam Jensen books, so she might really enjoy the A-Z mysteries. I'll have to look at the Dahl books and see what I can find. Good idea about talking to her librarian.

There's a great re-sale book store close by that has a really good selection of books. I remember spending hours there when I was a kid. It's going to be fun to take DD there now.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

kc_94920 replied to iocasta's response:
Has Levi read Dahl's The Witches? It's was still Madelyn's all-time favorite book last time I asked. She shared it with her class last fall as one of her top book recommendations and so many kids got excited hearing her thoughts about it that the teachers ended up doing it as one of their October class read aloud books. I was a bit shocked given it tends to be one of those books that is always being challenged for it's content but it went over well and the kids ate it up.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

iocasta replied to kc_94920's response:
We read The Witches to him some time ago and plan on pointing it in his direction for him to read. I think after Fantastic Mr. Fox, we'll suggest BFG, this is Levi's favorite, and maybe The Witches afterwards.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.