Skip to content
Repeating Kindergarten
tlkittycat1968 posted:
We had DS' annual IEP meeting this morning. He has made great progress since he started at the school and that is good. I mentioned that I was worried he might not be ready for 1st grade and they said since he's a young 5 (he turned 5 the day before school started) he'll be evaluated at the end of the school year and if we feel he isn't ready to advance, he'll spend another year in kindergarten.

He's a smart kid but has trouble with his fine-motor skills and talking. His 2 year old (almost 3) sister talks better than he does.

I talked with DH and he said he was held back in 1st grade and it was hard for him because all his friends went ahead and he didn't. I think kindergarten is a good time to hold him back because he'd be too young to really notice.

sarah0323 responded:
You have to make the decision that you feel is right.

With Cristopher and Colby we held them back in PreK. They weren't ready for K. About the middle of last year the teacher and I talked about possibly holding Cris back in K. I was against it. He would have been one of the youngers ones in his class now he is the oldest. I wasn't willing to hold him back for another year (I was thinking when he gets older he isn't going to want to be in HS when he is 20). I asked them what is going to change and what is he going to gain from another year of K. They weren't able to answer. Cris was speech delayed and now he has been diagnoised as selectively mute and he is receiving OT because his fine motor skills are lacking. I have Cris' IEP on October 2nd and I'm not looking forward to it. He is behind the others in his class. We are having testing done to see if their is a possible learning disability. (His dad has one) He is struggling in 1st grade. I won't lie. Colby is completing his 3rd year of PreK this year.

When I was in school there was a young man that was held back in K. He may not have noticed but the other kids noticed. I rember him being teased about it (this was 30 years ago). I went to a really small school so maybe it was more noticable than in a larger school. I know it is a really hard decision. You don't want to send them on if they aren't ready but if you do hold them back.....
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

tlkittycat1968 replied to sarah0323's response:
DS is speech delayed as well. He's about 4 months behind in comprehension but almost two years behind in speach. He's also way behind in his fine motor skills and his gross motor skills could use some improvement as well. He's receiveing speech therapy from the district as well as our insurance. He also receives OT and PT from the district.

He's a smart kid and knows a lot but has trouble concentrating in class at times. We're afraid his speech delay along with his other deficiencies might cause problems.

His kindergarten class is small because it's special ed but if he went ahead to first grade, it would be with the regular kids in a larger class so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't notice.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Roxanne, mother to Jonathan who's 4 and Chloe and Thomas who just turned 1 year old. I've been married for 8 years now and love my hus...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.