Skip to content
I am, like, so tired of it, like, all the time
seeit2 posted:
My DD has started saying "like" constantly, it seems as though she says it every other word sometimes. It's driving me crazy. I suspect there are girls at school who talk this way (and for all I know the teacher does, she's very young) and she picked it up from them - but it just grates on me. I tell her to pause and say nothing when she feels like spitting out a "like" and it is helping but she forgets, which I can't really blame her for. Am I being neurotic for trying to nip this in the bud? Is it hopeless? Is it just me? I can't stand it!
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

iocasta responded:
No, this will serve her well when she gets older. Filler words are annoying and demonstrate poor speaking skills. Good luck.

sarah0323 responded:
I agree with Steph. Ours isn't "like" but potty mouth words. I couldn't stand it anymore and Jacob and I had a conversation recently about how it actually sounds. Not just that I don't like the words but how unintelligent he sounds when he says them. Right now he is all about how "smart" he is so this really helped my case. I had started talking like him. He was laughing so hard. I told him thats how he sounds. He didn't like it. Now he will still use a bad word but it has gone way down.

Do you ever wonder why we worked so hard to get them to talk?

PS...It will start again when they are teenagers. Right now Olivia says awesome about everything. This one is just about a lost cause. All of the girls her age are saying it. If I could get through to her I would love it.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

kc_94920 responded:
I would work on reminding her in a positive way and of course model appropriate alternatives.

We have something similar with Coco and it makes us all crazy. It's not "like" but rather her insertion of the word "umm" a hundred times in any given conversation. I think it's more of a 3rd born (or 4 year old) thing as she'll do almost anything to not be left out of a conversation that includes me, DH and/or either big sibling. She finally caught on to waiting for a break in the conversation or saying "excuse me" when she has something to add but usually it's something like, "Excuse me, momma, umm, I, umm, umm, was, momma, umm, what did sissy umm say before this?" I try very hard to stay patient and then help her re form her comment or question. I've also started telling her that she should "hold" her words until she has something to say that is relevant and appropriate.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

UKbluegirl2 responded:
Ava has used both "like" which drives DH nuts and "umm" which drives me nuts. We tell her to stop, think and collect her thoughts. She really has gotten much better about it.

And KC, Wil does something similar to what your Coco does. I also equate it to him being 4yo with a 6yo sister that is constantly talking about something. I think he feels left out at times and just begins some random going nowhere sentence to make sure we all know he's still there.

baby1at35 replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
The boys do not really do not use those however. Last year all the kids were saying OMG either the actual phrase or just OMG. That is not allowed in our house. I dislike it as well as from our religious standpoint it is using God's name in vein.
I have taught them oh my goodness or oh my word . We also make up funny phrases too.
But it is almost a natural word in language. I was never allowed to say it and cursing was completely unacceptable.
I do slip here and there at home but my language is pretty clean.
I feel language is important as well.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of two boys, Travis (4-19-05) and Skyler (12-15-06). I've known my DH Joel since 11-23-01 and were married 5-19-05.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.