Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IEP Update Kind Of
sarah0323 posted:
Well the school finally completed the testing for Cris. I asked that he be reevaluated in academics in reading and math and language to see his level of effective communication. I don't have the complete results yet. They did find some areas of concern in Reading and Math. He has a good vocabulary, thought process and analytical thinking. I fought so hard to get him tested. I am so glad that the testing confirmed my suspicions that there are some areas that he needs additional help in. He will be getting more services in special education for the reading and math. I'm glad that I stuck with my mommy feeling and kept pushing. I remember leaving the meeting earlier this month thinking that maybe I was pushing too much, but I'm glad that I didn't back down. His case manager at school called me this morning to let me know. I have butted heads with his case manager many times (we have different opinions on everything). She thinks he is doing good enough in school and I know/see how hard he struggles every day. It was nice hearing that I do know my own child better than the school.
This case manager flat out told me at the last meeting that putting Cris through the testing was a waste of time and the school's money. That in her 25 years of education experience that she has seen this many times and that we just need to spend more time at home working with him on reading. We read with him for 30 minutes every night. I knew that there was more to it than that.
His next IEP meeting is October 9th. Here's hoping that the school will actually provide the services that he needs and that I don't have to fight for it. I won't get the final results of his testing until the 9th.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

seeit2 responded:
Good for you for pushing it. I hope he does end up getting the services without too much of a battle. I can't believe the case manager flat out told you it was a waste of time - that is so rude. And implying that you are not doing enough at home is not cool either.

We had DS' IEP meeting a few weeks ago, he is transitioning from early intervention into the school district and qualified for a two-hour group speech class two days per week. So we are going from 45 minutes twice a month to 4 hours a week. On his testing he came in at about a 6% in articulation - which means that 94% of kids his age have better articulation skills than he does. The folks at the IEP meeting set up all sorts of expectations about what would happen next and how great everyone was - and not one of them actually happened. The therapist ended up looking like a total schlub, and I don't know if that's because they set her up to look like one or she has no follow through whatsoever. I hung up the phone after my first contact with her, feeling like I was completely hosed and totally unsatisfied with what she had to say. Thought about it for a few hours and called her later to try to straighten a few things out, which we were able to do. But I had to be "that mom". I really wish I didn't have to always push just to get what I think I deserve from these people. And the fact that I used to be one of these people just makes it worse, because I know how lame and ineffective they are being and I won't settle for it.

Sorry, I'm rambling...I've said it before, your son is lucky to have you on his side.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

sarah0323 replied to seeit2's response:
Good News on more speech therapy. Colby is at 15% in articulation. He is getting 2 individual speech classes at 20 minutes each and 2 group classes at 30 minutes each. I wish I could have gotten more but this was the best that I could get. As I have been talking to other parents I learned that most of the other kids aren't getting any individual classes. I know I hate being "that mom" but I learned really quickly that if I wasn't "that mom" then they would walk all over me. We have a wonderful PreK teacher. She makes sure that there is follow through from the others. She helps us get what our kids need. Once they leave PreK though we are on our own. I think that is what is so frustrating. Seeing one person who cares so much and will help us get all the services that we need and then feeling like you have no one on your side. Unless you start asking questions and reading you feel like you are at lost at sea without a paddle.

My SO would finally talk to me about Cris' IEP. He told me to do what I needed. He doesn't want the kids to end up like him. He graduated HS but can't read at a 3rd grade level. Honestly, I don't want the kids to end up like him. That's why I will fight for them as long as I have to.

Your kids are lucky to have you too. If it weren't for us they wouldn't be getting what they need. You can ramble anytime. I know I do.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
My DS is in a special kindergarten for kids with communication difficulties so he pretty much receives speech therapy all day. That and he's pulled out for individual therapy twice a week for 30 minutes at a time. In addition to that, he has speech therapy provided by my insurance for 45 minutes twice a week. His speech has improved but there are a lot of times where we still don't know what he's saying.

DS had his IEP last week. I mentioned I was worried that he might not be ready for 1st grade due to his communication issues (per the private evaluation, he's about 2 years behind in speech). We decided to evaluate him at the end of the year and possibly have him repeat kindergarten. He's a "young" 5 since he just turned 5 on 9/3 so he'd still be with his age group if he repeated.

seeit2 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I think that is smart to re-evaluate at the end of the year. So much can change over the course of a school year, but you do want to do what is right for him developmentally too.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.