Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Parenting/discipline conflict
An_248280 posted:
It seems that whenever I am discipling my 4-year old, my husband feels that he needs to interrupt me and discipline her. I feel that this is overstepping me and in observing our daughter, she feels gained up on. Does anyone have any opinions or resources I could read on this topic? Thanks!

laney0705 responded:
I had the same issue with my husband where he felt the need to step in whenever I was disciplining our DS. I finally told him to just back off that I could handle it and DS didn't need both of us "ganging up" on him. I told DH that I don't/wouldn't step in when he was disciplining and I except the same. He hasn't done it "much" since then.
Me(42)DH(39)DS(5)DD(2)

brittneyS responded:
I wouldn't both discipline her, I would only have one parent at a a time do it. I have a 3 year old daughter and a 5 year old boy so what my husband and i do if we are both home we both set them down and explain what they did and why it is wrong or what they should be doing and that seems to help sometimes. But yeah if both discipline at that same time while one already has the child will feel dissapointed and ganged up on.

Spotlight: Member Stories

proud dad of 2 kids, one is 4 1/2 & the baby is 4 months old (born june 2010). married for 13 years & live in the sunny south.....i'm an a...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.