Skip to content
Outdoor Toy Storage
mrswhitecastle posted:
Where do you keep all the outdoor toys?

I used to keep the small things -- jump ropes, balls, shovels, etc -- in a pink round bin in the garage. Now that the backyard is finally finished, I want that stuff in the backyard, but I don't want it to get all yucky.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm looking forward to seeing some solutions. Right now, all toys, boxes of chalk, scooters, etc. are on the front porch covered in spider webs and dirt. We're decorating for Halloween this weekend so I need to find a solution STAT.

Would love to see pix of your backyard if you're comfortable sharing MWC!!!!

Haylen

crunk05177 responded:
We keep everything in the shed. Once it gets too cold, we put them in the basement and put the snow blower and sleds and stuff in the shed. It isn't too big. We have the bikes and scooters and all that good stuff hanging and we have plastic shelves for the chalk, bubbles etc. I highly recommend a nice storage shed.

The first apartment we lived in, the owners put the outdoor toys in plastic storage bins and kept them under the awning. It worked so well but I wouldn't recommend it without the awning. The bigger items like bikes and scooters were kept in the shed.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

sarah0323 responded:
Honestly my kids play outside all year long. When we have a snow coming they put their bikes in their club house. The small items they bring inside. The small items are mostly cars and tractors. The balls and sport equipment they but in the shed with the lawn mower. This is their permanent home. We just have a bin in there that they get dumped in.

I saw a plastic bench with storage under it. We looked at it for the kids to put some things in. Until we redo our back yard though I just dont' have a good place for it.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

kc_94920 responded:
Our flat yard is actually in front so our garage (which faces the front yard) worked very well for the ball bin, super saokers, slip-n-slide, chalk and trikes/small bikes but now that they are bigger I've had to increase the storage space. I now have small shed on the side of the garage that houses the 3 kid's bikes, scooters, plasma car, cozy coupe. It really has helped clear out the garage.

My mom has a smaller space and bought a tall Rubbermaid cabinet type thing (looks alomst like an armoire) that she uses to hold some of their outdoor stuff and her planting items. If you only need housing for smaller items (no bigger than a scooter) it would work well for you and protect things from weather.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

iocasta responded:
We just use rubber trugs made from old truck tires. The stuff gets wet but that is fine with us. Anymore it is just balls. We re-did some areas of the garden last month taking away the natural sandbox play area that we built a couple years back and built a "small" mountain with large rocks for Levi to play on. Levi actually designed the space and talked it through with our landscape artitect. He sets up his soliders or lego villages that he creates on the rocks but those items come in the when he is done. Anything that might get too gross also comes in at the end of the day. Also, I don't want a bunch of toys strewn around in the garden either.

seeit2 responded:
We use something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-75-Gallon-Outdoor-Storage-Box/8143890

The storms that come through here would blow every last item to the next town, so we pile it all in there and then stack bikes and scooters on top when the wind comes up. It isn't the prettiest thing but it blends in pretty well and the kids climb all over it or eat snack on top of it when they don't want to come inside so it works well for us.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

laney0705 responded:
We have something similar to what Deb (Seeit2) has. It's huge and holds all the trucks, balls, bubble wands, and anything else I can put in there and we still have lots of extra room. It's in the backyard on the side of the house. Getting the kids to actually put their stuff back in is another issue.

Step 2 makes some nice ($$$) outdoor storage items.
http://www.step2.com/p/Outdoor-Storage-Bench
Me(42)DH(39)DS(5)DD(2)

iocasta responded:
Loll Design has some great outdoor products. They are made from recycled plastic and really hold up well. We bought their BBO2 table and chairs for Levi 3 years ago and they still look great. I found this outdoor storage container by them that would work great as an outdoor toy bin. I'm going to think about getting it next year.

http://www.lolldesigns.com/product.php?productid=172

kc_94920 replied to iocasta's response:
Funny you mentioned Loll Design. I'm looking into buying 6 new adirondack rockers for my outdoor firepit in Lake Tahoe. I can't stand the constant maintance on my wooden ones and told DH this was the last summer I wanted to spend sanding/refinishing my old rockers back to life. Do Loll's really fair well in the elements? We have hot dry summers, wet falls, cold snowy winters and cool, wet, shlushy springs.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

iocasta replied to kc_94920's response:
Yes. We have Levi's chairs and table out all year round in Chicago. The color has yet to fade. It is really sturdy stuff. Plus they have lots of fun colors.

CandisLeigh488 replied to iocasta's response:
Ours aren't as pretty as this one -- and I think they are a tad bit larger -- but you get the idea.
They store A LOT in them.

garden toys

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.