Skip to content
How much sleep does your LO get?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
No matter what we do the day before, my girls never sleep in, are both up by 6 or 7 am. What about your kids?

DD1 (7 years old/2nd grade): 8 - 10 hours a night depending, up by 7 am every day.

DD2 (4 years old/pre-K): 1 hour nap at school, 9 - 10 hours a night, up by 6:30 am every day.

What's the story in your house?

Haylen

P.S. This article talks all about sleep and how 10 - 11 hours are needed and that 27 minutes of extra sleep makes a difference: A Little Bit of Extra Sleep Pays Off Big for Kids Also gives 9 tips for better sleep.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
DS (5 years old/kindergarten): 9-11 hours a night, depending of if he has to go to grandma's/daycare in the morning or not. Weekends he's usually up between 6a & 7a. He goes to bed between 7p & 8p, depending on how tired he is.

DD (3 yrs old): 10-12 hours a night, again, depending on if she has to go to grandma's/daycare in the morning or not. Weeneds, she's usually up around 7a.

My kids never sleep in either, no matter how late they were up the night before. It's like DS has an internal alarm that wakes him up by 7a every morning.

crunk05177 responded:
DS1 - (almost 6) Goes to sleep the latest 9 and we have to wake him up usually around 7:30 to start getting ready for school. He could probably go to bed earlier but it is impossible to get everything done at night when we get home from work. Before DS2 was born, he would sleep in until 9-10 with us on the weekends!

DS2 - (3 on Sunday!) We had to stop his naps completely about a month or two ago because he would be up until 10 or 11 at night which is insane. So now, with no nap....he will fall asleep anywhere between 8 and 9:30...(it depends if he passed out on the way home from the babysitter or school that day). But he is my early riser. He is usually up by 6:30 and no later than 7.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

kc_94920 responded:
DD1 (10years/4th grade): About 10 hours per night. She goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 and then reads/listens to music for 30-60 minutes. Asleep by 8:30 and up at 6:30.

DS (7 years/2nd grade): Between 10-10.5 hours per night. He goes to bed around 7:15, reads/screws around for 15-30 minutes and is asleep between 7:30 and 8. He is always up by 6 unless he's sick or on the east coast.

DD2 (4 years/pre-K): A little over 11 hours a night. She's usually ready for bed around 6:30 and then gets read to and rocked until about 6:45/6:55. She's out by 7 and up by 6, sometimes 6:15.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

iocasta responded:
Levi is a night owl and would stay up all hours and sleep in until noon if allowed. Teenage years are going to be fun. He gets on average about 9-10 hours of sleep. Bedtime is 7:30 and lights out at 8:00 but he will stay up reading or building until past 9 p.m. He can't have the lights on but he will get his lantern if he is reading in bed or turn on his closet light if he is building some Lego contraption or marble track. School days he gets up at 6:30, school starts at 8:00. If he is still going strong much past 9, on a school night, I will lay down with him to help him relax. His brain sometimes just goes and goes, though having swim practice 6 days a week has helped with this a bit. Weekends and days there is no school he will get up between 7 and 9 a.m. depending on how late he is up. He does well with this, he is just one of those people doesn't require much sleep. DH and I both average about 6 hours per night and do okay.

sarah0323 responded:
DD1 (13 years old/8th grade): 8 hours during the school week. She's asleep by 9:30 and up shortly after 5:30. On the weekends she could sleep all day if we let her.

DS1 (8 years old/3rd grade): 8 to 10 hours a night. He gets his night meds at 7:30 and is usually asleep by 8:00, up at 6:00 during the week (we have to drag him out of bed) on the weekends up at 5:00am without fail!!

DS2 (7 years old/1st grade): I just pray he goes to sleep at night. He is a horrible sleeper always has been. He gets a med to help him sleep at 7:30. I'm lucky if he is asleep by 9:00 there are many nights he is still wide awake at midnight. Up at 6:00 for school on the weekdays. On the weekends he is usually up by 6:30.

DS3 (5 years old/PreK): 10 hours. Asleep by 8:00 and we don't intinally wake him but he normally gets up at 6:00. On the weekends he will sleep until 10am if the room is dark and his brothers leave him alone.

DD2 (2 years old): 11 to 12 a day. In bed at 9:00 normally up around 6:00 takes two 1 hour naps during the day.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

Stephensmom1214 responded:
This is kind of a touchy subject in our house right now... for whatever reason, lately, my 5 yo has been getting only 8-9 hours of sleep a night recently. He goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:15 most nights, and falls asleep quickly. He is up anywhere between 4 and 5 every morning (even on weekends - it's awful), and won't nap at school most days. He is tired all day long - we actually have a sleep study scheduled for Monday night to see if we can figure out what's going on. If nothing shows up with that, he's seeing a sleep psychologist at the end of the month.

We've been working with the pediatrician for a couple of months, but this has been going on for about 6 months, so...
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

cinder44 responded:
DD & DS (5.5 years old/in Kindergarten) 10-10.5 hrs a night. in bed at 8:15-8:30pm & mostly asleep right away but def by 9pm & we wake them at 6:45am.

On the weekends they are in bed by 9pm & they will sleep in until 7:15-7:30am sometimes after 8am if we are lucky. DD is usually up first unless she is really tired. I think she wants to watch tv so she gets up before DS.
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

seeit2 responded:
DD (6) in bed at 7:45 usually asleep by 8:00, up at 6:30am every day.

DS (3) in bed at 7:30 usually asleep by 8:00 - he gets the house up at 6:15, no matter what day it is. He naps from 1:00 till at least 2:00 every day.

I keep their schedules no matter what is going on. My in-laws call me the Sleep Nazi. But I think they are better for it.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to seeit2's response:
there's lots to be said for keeping sleep schedules - I need to do more of that...

baby1at35 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
The boys are in bed around 8pm and typically asleep shortly after that. They sleep until 7-7:30 depending on what time they actually go to sleep. Our school starts at 9:05am.
So standardly 10-11 hours. They definately need that.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

ryanandleigh responded:
My kids never seem to need much sleep...

DS (7 years old/1st grade): goes to be about 9:30 and is up at 6:30 for school. (9 hours) - on weekends he sleeps until 7:30

DD (4 years old/Pre-K): goes to bed around 9:30 (if we are lucky) and is up at 7:30 for school (10 hours) On weekends she would sleep until 8 or 9 if her brother would let her.

Neither child has napped since they were 22 months old so if they take a nap it is because they are not feeling well.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Beth and I have been married to my wonderful husband for almost 6 years. We have a 4 1/2 year old son and a 3 month old son. I am the accou...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.