Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mrs. WC - Yogurt
iocasta posted:
How goes your yogurt making? I decided to give it a go after I have struggled to find plain yogurt in my favorite brand, Kalona. My first batch came out well though I did have a bit of whey separation, which made the yogurt pretty thick. DH loves it. I'm going to try to make my next batch a little thinner, I prefer Swiss style. I have a yogurt maker, which I will continue to use to make DH's thicker yogurt. For my yogurt I'm going to try using a quart jar in a 1 gallon water cooler filled with boiling water to see if I can make it to the consistency I prefer. If I can get it to a good creamy consistency then I'll try making vanilla and maple yogurt for Levi. I'll be glad to get away from all those little plastic cups. It is such a waste. Yogurt is a little crazy in our house as each of us have our own favorite style and brand.

mrswhitecastle responded:
It's going pretty well. I have really liked what I've made so far, but the girls aren't liking it. DH isn't a fan of yogurt to begin with. I need to try a couple of more recipes to get it to where the girls like it better.

I like to strain the yogurt to get it really thick. I felt bad just pouring out all of the whey, but I may have found a solution. I've ordered a new cookbook, and there are a few recipes (bread, mainly) that use the left-over whey. I'm looking forward to trying those next time I make my yogurt.

It does feel better to not have all those little plastic cups. My yogurt maker came with individual glass containers that are so much nicer.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Have you tried adding dry milk powder? I have used that to thicken my yogurt and it worked really well.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

iocasta replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I have had better success using the water bath method. I'm still trying to get the ideal cook time with the maker. The yogurt in the maker comes out slightly grainy and lots of whey separation. A trick that I a found out about is to keep the milk at 180 to 190 for 30 minutes. This helps to unravel the proteins and reduces whey separation. The first water bath I only did for 6 hours. The second batch I did for 9 hours and it was much thicker almost to standard swiss style. I may give up on the maker but the water bath method is more hands on . I have to say it is has been a fun chemistry experiment. I haven't tried dried milk because I want to slowly knock out the various variables first.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of two boys, Travis (4-19-05) and Skyler (12-15-06). I've known my DH Joel since 11-23-01 and were married 5-19-05.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.