Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone affected by Sandy?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
My "work wife" lives in Jersey. She's without power and lost two huge old trees on her property (they didn't fall on anything, thank goodness!)

I have friends in D.C., Virginia and in the heart of New York City and in Great Neck. So far (from Facebook updates and text messages) everyone is safe and didn't suffer any major property loss.

How about you guys?

Haylen

ps Here are some fresh resources that you can pass along if needed:

Q&A: Riding out a storm safely
Managing Panic & Fear in a Storm

laney0705 responded:
Our whole family is in NJ (except for a few). I spoke with everyone over the course of the hurricane and they are all fine. Some still have no power and my brother lost 2 trees but no severe damage.
Me(42)DH(39)DS(5)DD(2)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to laney0705's response:
Glad they are safe and sound! So many beautiful giant trees came down

Just heard from my coworker - she said power is still out and the lines to get gas are 4 hours long!

We're sending her a care package with stress-relieving stuff like aromatherapy candles and bubble bath.

Haylen

crunk05177 responded:
Long Island isn't doing too well We are STILL without power, we lost it 7:30pm Monday night. Everything in my house is electric. We have no lights, no hot water, no stove...however, I am very thankful my family and home remain unharmed!!

We only had a HUGE limb come off one of the trees in our yard that hit the window but did not break it. There is at least one tree down on every block in my neighborhood. You are right about the lines for gas. My coworker waited for two hour this morning for gas. However, the governor is saying a delivery is on it's way.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

baby1at35 replied to crunk05177's response:
How is everyone doing now? I have a friend in NY trying to get gas for days now. No gas. She is grateful to at least have electricity but can't get to work.
Crunk...Do you have power yet? Hope you are ok.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

crunk05177 replied to baby1at35's response:
Still no power But my father in law and my father both got their power over the weekend. We have our clothes, pillows, blankets, toys, food, etc in our cars and have been bouncing between the two house the last three nights.

I needed gas yesterday so I waited on a line for 45 minutes....they only were accepting cash and the max was $40. I lucked out because I know people who were waiting for hours and hours at other places.

School is still not in session. They are saying that there is no power in 5 of the schools in the district and some streets you still can't pass. Where we are, we are mostly just experiencing power outages which is miserable but some people lost everything closer to the water. This whole thing is crazy. Watching a benefit concert for where you live is so surreal. You never think it would happen to you or to people you know.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

baby1at35 replied to crunk05177's response:
Hope you get electricity soon. My friend in NY waited 8-10 hrs for 3 days and finally got gas today to get to work.
Take care......
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

crunk05177 replied to baby1at35's response:
Thank you! We applied for FEMA assistance yesterday and today we got a call that they would pay for us to be in a hotel. I called like 5 hotels in the area and they are all full. I am thanking god we do have a warm place to sleep otherwise although it is inconvenient.

Tomorrow I will be donating about 3 bags of clothes, a bag of shoes, a bag of blankets and about 2 bags of toys to those who lost everything. I feel really good about it and I am glad I am able to help in one way or another.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.