Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I need help with potty training...
jffa7677 posted:
I feel like such a bad parent right now. I have a little guy is who 4 years old and is giving me such a hard time potty training. Now he is stightly delayed so he did start late but you would think by now I would not be having this problem. We are constantly asking him if he need to go and he tells us no. We will after a while just put him on the potty and make him go. I know some people say that is not what you should do because it takes the control of the situation from them. We have done the praise and treat thing. We have even taken toys away from him, (but that doesn't even faze him). We have tried to whole thing of putting him in just underwear and see what happens and he does not seem to mind if he is wet. I really need some suggestions on what I am doing wrong. There are some days that he is really interested and good and others he just does not care. I am going crazy trying to figure out what it is I am doing wrong with him. Please Help Me. Thank you.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I feel for you. My DS is 5 and just starting potty-training in late August, right before his 5th birthday. He's good with his pee but still poops in his pull-ups or underwear. Luckily he's in a special kindergarten where being potty-trained isn't required.

Your son may just not be ready. My DS just decided on his own one day that he didn't want to wear diapers anymore. Believe me, we and grandma were trying anything we could think of to get him to go potty in the potty chair but nothing worked.

Stephensmom1214 responded:
Here's the thing, and I suspect that PP would agree... when you have a child with delays (as I do as well), you can't judge when they should be ready for something based on when other kids are ready. It stinks, but it's just the way it is. Honestly, it sounds like your little guy just isn't ready for it. And as for how other people say you "should" do it? No way. Don't listen to them - just do it how it works for you, because your situation with having a child with delays makes it different. Sometimes as a parent, you have to take control of the situation to teach them how to control it themselves, KWIM?

FWIW, candy treats worked really well for my son. I think the trick is to find what motivates your son, and go from there. But if he's not ready, it's just not going to work.
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the father of two girls, aged 4 and 6.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.