Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Neice With Serious Eating Issues... HELP!
An_248984 posted:
I'm very concerned with my neice's unhealthy eating habits. She lives about half the week with my mother-in-law and the other half of the week with her parents. Both let her have whatever she wants, whenever she wants. Her diet consists of chocolate milk, 7-up, pepperoni, butter, hamburger smothered in nacho cheese, chips, and bacon. I thought her going to school would help but it han'st, they pack her a lunch of nacho cheese and chips every day. I've wittnessed her be excused from dinner not eating a single bite of food just to ask for a "snack" which consists of a full plate of doritos chips. This is an every single day thing. My husband and I along with other members of the family have brought this issue up many times to just get blown off every time. What do we do? This has gotten beyond bad. My neice is 5 years old and severely overweight. She cannot play with other children because she can't keep up. I don't want to ruin relationships with my family but something has got to give. Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP!

iocasta responded:
Honestly, as the aunt there isn't anything more that you can do unless the child is endangered. Unfortunately, allowing a child to become obese isn't considered child endangerment unless it is extreme. Even then, there is mix result on it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Roxanne, mother to Jonathan who's 4 and Chloe and Thomas who just turned 1 year old. I've been married for 8 years now and love my hus...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.