Skip to content
Neice With Serious Eating Issues... HELP!
An_248984 posted:
I'm very concerned with my neice's unhealthy eating habits. She lives about half the week with my mother-in-law and the other half of the week with her parents. Both let her have whatever she wants, whenever she wants. Her diet consists of chocolate milk, 7-up, pepperoni, butter, hamburger smothered in nacho cheese, chips, and bacon. I thought her going to school would help but it han'st, they pack her a lunch of nacho cheese and chips every day. I've wittnessed her be excused from dinner not eating a single bite of food just to ask for a "snack" which consists of a full plate of doritos chips. This is an every single day thing. My husband and I along with other members of the family have brought this issue up many times to just get blown off every time. What do we do? This has gotten beyond bad. My neice is 5 years old and severely overweight. She cannot play with other children because she can't keep up. I don't want to ruin relationships with my family but something has got to give. Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP!
iocasta responded:
Honestly, as the aunt there isn't anything more that you can do unless the child is endangered. Unfortunately, allowing a child to become obese isn't considered child endangerment unless it is extreme. Even then, there is mix result on it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

my son is soon to be 5 and me and my husband thinks he has undecended testicles.
when my son was about 1 our doctor thought my son had undescended testicles and sent us to a specialist. The specialist said he was find ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.