Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Holiday gifts for teachers, coaches, coworkers, etc...
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Last night a parent was asking for $20 cash to contribute towards a gift for the 3 coaches of my daughters swim team. I totally forgot about "extra" gifts..have just been focused on saving money on gifts for the girls.

Do you give your kids teacher, tutor or coach a gift or contribute to a group gift? If you get individual gifts, what do you give? Who else makes your gift list? (Mailmen, gardners, coworkers, bossetc.)

Haylen

kc_94920 responded:
Yes, we contribute towards larger gifts for coaches. DD1 has two tennis coaches that work with her year round so we go in with the other parents for $25 each. DD2 has speech/pre-reading tutor she sees weekly with a small group and we also pitch in for her gift. DD2 also sees a speech therapist alone and we give her a cash bonus equivelent to 2 weeks work.

The Nursery School does a $25 per family donation and the class parents get gift cards for the 6 Pre-K teachers (36 kids in the class). I love this.

I actually buy the elementary school teachers each a gift card or gift from our family. This year both DD1 and DS have 3 homeroom teachers...so I need 6 gifts. I usually ask the kids for ideas but boy do I wish, we did a class collection.

DH gives bonuses to his 3 employees, our gardener and our nanny. We also leave something out for the mailman and garbage guy who have both served us for the entire 12 years we've live here.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

iocasta responded:
We give individual bonuses to Levi's two private swim coaches and contribute to the clubs general bonus pool for the staff. I'm not sure about his swim team coaches. The swim team is part of another private schools aquatics department. I have to feel out the protocol there. Levi's school frowns on group gifts for teachers. They don't want parents to feel obligated. We give his main teacher and assistant teacher Visa gift cards along with a small item. His French Teacher and the Librarian we give wine. For some reason, I have never thought to give his art teacher or P.E. coach anything. The safety staff, the ones that direct traffic and get kids into and out of cars, we give Starbucks gift cards. We just started with his French tutor but we will give her something not sure what. We tip extra for the grocery delivery guys, various personal grooming people and the newspaper guy. Our housekeeper, former nanny, who does a lot of babysitting for us, and cat sitter we give a bonus based on what we pay them. If I'm around, we give wine to our mail person, UPS person and FedEx person. I also give a bonus and a gift to my secretary. DH gives out about 2 cases of worth of wine to coworkers. I'm sure that there are others.

baby1at35 replied to iocasta's response:
I was just thinking about this.

I have 4 Religious Ed. teachers
2 teachers
Martial Arts teacher

I do not have a "permanent" babysitter so I won't have that this year.
My Mom used to give gifts to the mail man as well. We never have a consistent one and I honestly do not even know who it is but she is rural so they have the same guy.
I feel bad but I always do these gifts last minute. (I honestly have to see how much money after I get the boys stuff so I know the budget !)
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

sarah0323 responded:
Money is always tight at Christmas. I normally don't have any extra but try to do what I can. If the class is taking up a collection then we will contribute. We try to do small gifts to everyone. When I was working I would also give a small gift to my staff. It was expected that we would also donate for something for my boss as well. For the teachers this year I'm going to make cinnamon rolls. Earlier this week I was counting it all up and I will need 20 gifts for homeroom teachers/para, Speech, OT, Reading and special education teachers/insturctors. I'm not giving to the libriarian, PE, music or computer.

Jacob will also pick something out for his wrestling coach. This man has been a father figure to him. They have formed a bond. Normally it is something that the two of them find goofy.

I will do a few cookie/bread trays for people:
Dr's Office
Mental Health Providers
Ortho Office
Senior Center
School Office Staff
Neighbors (smaller food type basket/tray)

My SO was a trashman at one time. He makes sure that we always remember the trash man. In July we sets out cold drinks and a snack and in December Hot Cocoa with cookies.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

laney0705 responded:
It's so hard coming up with money/gift ideas for all these extra people in our lives. Ryder will give his teacher a gift, just something so she knows we thought of her. I have to get Ryleighs daycare ladies something and her speech therapist.

Ryders school has "candy cane grams" they will send out for .50 cents each. Ryder choose to send one to his teacher, former K teacher, librarian and PE teacher.
Me(43)DH(40)DS(6)DD(3)

iocasta replied to laney0705's response:
I love the idea of the candy cane gram.

earleyml1012 responded:
This is the first year that I have two kids in daycare, so we have more teachers. I bought these little fabric Christmas gift bags (6 bags) and a small lotion (5 lotions) from LTD Commodities, which came out to $2 a teacher. They were really cute! Then I'm going to bake a few apple, cranberry breads and some cookies to send to the center for all of the teachers to share since they all know my kids.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tammy and I'm the mom to a wonderful 6 year old boy (PJ) and a beautiful 4 year old girl (Kylee). I'm a step-mom to four kids as we...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.