Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Swimming Lessons
mrswhitecastle posted:
Which do you think is better -- private lessons or group lessons?

I am going to sign the girls up for lessons this Spring. The private lessons are only a little more expensive than the group lessons. I'm curious, though, if you think they are worth the extra money at all.

Thanks for the input!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

iocasta responded:
It really depends on what you want the girls to get out of the lessons and how comfortable they are in the water. You know my story. Right now Levi has three private and three swim team practices a week. They will learn more in private lessons and likely become more competent swimmers faster. If you only want the basics then group is fine. If they are fearful of the water then I would strongly suggest private.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
We have had a great experience for 7 years with small group lessons. The swim school is located at a private home owned by the main instructor and runs like clockwork - 45 minute lessons from 9 am - 6 pm M - F for the long swim season in SoCal.

What I found was absolutely the best way to learn was her schedule - the kids do a 2 week session going M - F.

Those 10 days in a row really make a HUGE difference rather than waiting 7 days between lessons.

Group or private - that's what I would suggest!

Haylen

crunk05177 responded:
We used to go once a week and there were 3 kids in the group. While the teacher was with one kid, the other two would just sit on the steps and practice "blowing bubbles." I think it would help to see the other kids do stuff but if you have the money, I'd go with private.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

kc_94920 responded:
We did private lessons until they could swim and were water safe (for us that was between ages 3 and 4) and again whenever they needed extra help with something specific. For the older two, we did small group lessons in pre-k to learn their strokes and then started jr swim team in Kindergarten and 1st grade. DD2 is over scheduled already with tennis, gymnastics, soccer and tee-ball so we've yet to start her group swim lessons but she already a strong swimmer and will do fine next year on the jr. team.

I think, for most kids, private lessons are well worth the money especially as they are first learning or if they trying to accomplish some new specific skill (breasttroke, side breathing, etc).
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

UKbluegirl2 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I 2nd Haylen's suggestion. We put our older 2 in a 10 day session. It was at an indoor pool taught by a University swim team. They was a 1:2 teacher student ratio. I really wish I'd had the option for 1:1. Ava did SUPER! Wil did pretty well. They were both fish 2 weeks later as we continued our daily summer pool routine. Their confidence levels soared and they were quite good. Prior to that, both my children were sinking rocks in the pool.

I was just thinking I needed to sign them both up to ensure they don't 'lose' it all over the winter.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.