Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Looking for a job....
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I know a few of us have sought out new jobs, careers, opportunitys, etc. this year.

Layoffs are coming at DH's company and we might be launching a job search in 2013. He's been at the same job for 14 years so we're kind of at a loss here...

I know a LinkedIn profile is important these days. Where else do you search online? Have you ever used a recruiter? What about industry specific sites or "job search" sites like Monster.com, Craigslist, etc?

Any info appreciated!

Haylen

baby1at35 responded:
Well I will try and help.
Definately set up a Linkedln profile. I guess that is the way to go now. I would not use a recruiter/head hunter.. (It has never seemed to help me at all ).
A website I found that actually had some decent jobs was indeed.com ... it is kind of hit and miss however I found jobs on there that weren't on the more public sites and good jobs.
Network, network, network.... Call up anyone you know who may have some connections.
Cater the resume to each specific job you apply for... (Almost every company does online resumes). On line resume HR systems now pick out "key words".
Hope any of that helps !
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to baby1at35's response:
That does help! Thank you! We can't even find an old resume of my husband's...probably on some hard drive 4 computers ago. I have heard of indeed! Will check it out.

One thing that we've found is that big corporations (like Clear Channel, Warner Music Group, Disney, etc.) have their own online resume submission system. So while my husband could tailor his resume 2 or 3 different ways for different departments/positions, it seems like applicants have one "hail mary pass". Still trying to figure that out.

My husband seems to think that if he does get laid off, he can just coast a bit on his generous severance package. I said absolutely not - with the way technology is moving, if he is out of work for more than 6 months, some new system will come along and he'll be a dinosaur - am I being paranoid?

You don't have to answer that..

mrswhitecastle replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Eeeekkk... Facing losing a job is scary. The not knowing has to be extremely hard.

I think using a recruiter or not depends a lot on the type of industry you are in. DH has gotten 2 jobs since we have known each other. One was through a recruiter, and the other was through someone he had worked with before. I think networking is SO, SO important.

I hope things work out well, and it doesn't turn out to be too stressful.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

earleyml1012 responded:
Definitely networking! Early this year I was looking for a new job on my own terms. There was a company that I wanted to get into and knew a few people who worked there, so I keep in touch with them about openings. They would speak with someone in the department to see if they were happy there and if it seemed like a good fit for me. After a few months and adding these people as personal references, I did get hired at this company. So networking is definitely the way to go. Has anyone left his company and gone somewhere else that he could contact?

I've used all of the job search sites but instead of submitting my resume through the site, I went directly to the company's website or through someone that I knew worked for the organization.

I've also used a recruiter and it was a good experience for me. You don't pay for them, the business that hires pays for their services...at least that's how it was with the one I used.

Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

proud dad of 2 kids, one is 4 1/2 & the baby is 4 months old (born june 2010). married for 13 years & live in the sunny south.....i'm an a...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.