Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Piano Lessons
mrswhitecastle posted:
I decided it's time for Emily to try piano lessons again. It's probably been a year and a half since we did them last time. I don't know if her teacher wasn't really good, or if she was just too young. I'm not letting her quit this time. I think it's too important to learn an instrument and to read music.

I'm taking her to a piano school this time. When I talked with the director, he said that age 7 is the perfect age to start, in his opinion. He only wants/expects her to practice 15-20 minutes a day. That's about half of what her old teacher wanted. I think this is much more realistic. Plus, he said she was old enough now, I didn't have to sit there with her while she practiced.

For those that are currently taking piano lessons, how is practicing going? Do you have a set time every day? How long does DC practice? Do you have to sit with them to make them do it?
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

kc_94920 responded:
We don't do piano lessons but I heard the same thing from the Music director at our school regarding age to start piano and practice time. Logan really wanted to start piano early in K and they said he was too young and needed to be a stronger reader first unless he was already tinkering with a piano at home and had had a lot of exposure (which he did/had none of).

Midway through 1st grade he begged to start the violin which is an instrument not offered at school so DH talked to a few of the recommended teachers and decided at 7, he was ready to start playing and learning to read music. It's gone well and he reads music like a champ now. The actual playing of music is another story but he has improved over the last 10 months. He is supposed to practice 15-20 minutes a day 5 days a week and take his 45 minute weekly lesson. We always make the lesson and he probably practices 2-3 days a week.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

earleyml1012 responded:
My kids aren't in lessons yet...still too young. However, based on personal experience this sounds good. I started piano lessons around 7-8 and ended up quitting in 4th grade b/c I got bored. Reading your post, I think I was bored b/c I had to practice 30 minutes a day. What child has that attention span?!? I think 15-20 mins sounds perfect and some how make it fun. Do you know how to read music? Maybe if you sit with her and sing a long or make a game of it, it will be more fun for her. My parents sat me in a room all by myself, so it kind of felt like a punishment instead of the joys of learning something new. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

UKbluegirl2 responded:
For those that are currently taking piano lessons, how is practicing going? Practice is good. Ava is still really at the basic level of learning. She just moved to the 2nd level of books and is moving to 2 hand play. So there is some frustration at times with practice; mainly because she hates not being perfect.

Do you have a set time every day? Our practice is right after homework right after school.

How long does DC practice? She goes through her lesson (piano homework) 1-2xs per day which typically takes 15-20. We are good to practice 5xs per week. The weekends are too hectic!

Do you have to sit with them to make them do it? DH sits with her. He reads music and can play numerous instruments. Unfortunately I cannot so I am no help!

But she has been playing the Charlie Brown Christmas song like a pro and I've been her biggest cheerleader!

GL - I hope Emily loves it. I love seeing Ava's tiny slender fingers gliding over the keys! So sweet.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.