Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Potty training Meltdown
An_249356 posted:
We have tried all the things that they tell you not to do during potty training such as getting angry with accidents and so on. I really don't know how my mother taught my older son in 3 days because I have been trying for months to find some way to get him out of diapers. My four year old will go pee but totally refuses to poop in the potty. He will even hide after having an accident. I am at my breaking point and have recently went back to pull-ups because I am tired of cleaning poop out of his underwear. I am frustrated to the point of crying every day because I feel I don't know how to help him. What else can I do?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
There really isn't much you can do. My son is 5 and like yours is potty trained for pee but not poop. He just potty trained for pee about a week before his 5th birthday. I've heard it takes longer for kids to figure out the poop part so until they're ready, there isn't anything you can do.

iocasta responded:
Here is what we did. We would watch Levi when he went to his favorite spot to hide and poop, as he was starting we would grab him and set him on the potty. It took a couple of times but once he got the feel for it then it was clear sailing. I know it is easier said than done but try not to get frustrated. He won't go to college in diapers.

laney0705 responded:
Try your hardest not to get frustrated..I know it's easier said then done but it will happen. Every child is different and learns at their own pace. My DS was over 5 when he was fully day/night potty trained. My DD wasn't even 3 yet and she was fully potty trained. My niece was 6 before she went poop on the potty. She would just cry and have a fit when they tried to get her to poop on the toilet. I thought my sister was crazy not making her go on the potty, but when we started potty training DS I was shocked at how hard it was.

If you need more reassurance talk to your peditrician. They should tell you it's ok.
Me(43)DH(40)DS(6)DD(3)

crunk05177 responded:
I am having the same issue with my DS. He just turned 3 so he is still young but come on! Thankfully I saved the underwear from my older son (who rarely ever has had an accident) because when he poops in his underwear and it sticks to it, I just chuck it instead of cleaning. I will tell you what everyone keeps tell me....It will get better and stay strong!
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Beth and I have been married to my wonderful husband for almost 6 years. We have a 4 1/2 year old son and a 3 month old son. I am the accou...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.