Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Saturday indoor ideas?
earleyml1012 posted:
Tomorrow (Sat) we are trying to think of something fun, indoors, and not too expensive to do with our 4 yr daughter. Our local ice skating rink is having a skate with Santa for the kids or we were thinking of roller skating. Neither DH nor I have ice skated since college (9 yrs ago) so not sure how we'd be able to help keep her up. Anyone do either of these activities with their 4 yr old? If so, how did it go?

Then another thought we had was going to a local store where DD and I could paint pottery. She loves crafts but again, not sure how she'd do.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great! Oh and we have a 1 yr old who would have to tag along.

seeit2 responded:
DD went to a roller-skating birthday party a few weeks ago, and they had walkers on wheels that the kids could hang on to while they learned to skate. Don't know if you can do such a thing on ice skates but it might be worth a call to find out.

We took the kids bowling a few weeks ago and had a blast. You could also look for a jump-house type gym (those are popular around here but I'd never seen them anywhere else I've lived) or maybe the library has a weekend story or craft hour. The pottery sounds good too - but if the one-yr old is mobile you may want to rethink that lol.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

kc_94920 responded:
Ice skating can be fun and many places have chairs for the littler ones to hold on to and push. Not sure how the 1-year old would do but the 4-year old might make it for 30-60 minutes. We've taken the older two once or twice every winter since Kindergarten but we've never taking the youngest, who is 4.5.

My kids like to bowl, indoor rock climb, go to the childrens science museum and paint pottery on "indoor activity days". The also LOVE the occasional trip to Chuck E Cheese for games and pizza. I dread those afternoons but they get so excited about the tokens and tickets that I just have to let it happen a couple times a year.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

earleyml1012 replied to kc_94920's response:
We ended up taking her ice skating. They did have skate aids but they were on a first come basis. DH skated with her b/c they had nothing for a one year old...we were hoping a chair or something that she could sit in. Anyway, he held her up going around a few times but he said it was super hard b/c she didn't know how to keep her weight balanced at all. Eventually I took a skate aid from a family that was hoarding them (2 sitting on the side while their kids sat eating snacks). This was a little easier for them but she still didn't more her feet and DH had to push her around. Since it was more work than he thought, we only stayed for 45 mins.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of two boys, Travis (4-19-05) and Skyler (12-15-06). I've known my DH Joel since 11-23-01 and were married 5-19-05.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.