Skip to content
So have you told your kids about the CT tragedy?
baby1at35 posted:
Honestly I have only told the boys something really sad happened.
I just got an email from Tre's teacher that they will be observing a moment of silence and the principal will talk about the flag at half mast.
I guess honestly that forces me to talk to them in a bit more detail. We have just worked through some fears and I am not sure how this is going to go.
The teacher did say they would send the kids to the counselor or principal if they were having a hard time.
So have you talked to your kids about it?
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

iocasta responded:
No. I don't plan to unless he hears something. I don't think a first grader should know what happened to 20 other first graders while he was singing at his holiday concert. I know there would be nightmares. I will gently pry today after school and the days to come to see if he has heard anything and if so what so that we can address it with him in an age appropriate manner. I'm sure that there will be discussions within the upper school division about the events. I doubt there will be any planned discussions in the lower or earlier childhood divisions at school unless its becomes a class room topic. Levi's school is very sensitive about such issues and the teachers have likely been prepared on how to discuss this topic at an age appropriate manner if necessary. Also the upper school students have been taught to be protective of the lower and early childhood students so any cross over between them will likely not result in the older students telling the younger ones about the events. What I found amazing this weekend the number of completely strangers commenting on how wonderful and beautiful Levi is and that we have to cherish our children. The Motherlode Blog on the NYTImes has a good article on how to handle this with young children: http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/how-not-to-talk-with-children-about-the-sandy-hook-shooting/

iocasta replied to iocasta's response:
Here is another resource on talking about this event, this is from Levi's teacher: http://www.fci.org/new-site/par-tragic-events.html

earleyml1012 responded:
Since my oldest is only 4, we haven't said anything to her. DH did start asking her on Friday if she knew what it meant to die. She only talked about Jesus dying on the cross and didn't really seem to comprehend dealth. I had read that it's best not to talk to little ones about it, so I stopped DH from discussing anything further. A few times we were talking about it or had the news on in the background but DD didn't ask any questions or understand what was being said.

mrswhitecastle responded:
I'm so glad you posted this. I was wondering the same thing.

We have received 3 emails and a phone call from the school in regards to the shooting. There was also a link listed in one of the emails on how to talk to your kids about it.

I had a very, very short talk with the girls about it. For Elizabeth, I just told her something bad happened to some kids and she might here something about it at school.

I had to talk to Emily a bit more. She was home sick from school on Friday. She was watching TV when the news originially broke, so she heard a bit. Once I realized how bad it was, I didn't let her hear any more. I explained briefly what happened. I think they may do a moment of silence, and I think the other kids may talk about it. I so wanted to keep her ignorant, but I figured it was better to hear it from me then from school.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

miob responded:
With DS being only 4 years old, I have not and will not talk about it with him. Too many parents are having this difficult conversation with their kids over the last few days and having to tear away a little of their innocence. I'm keeping him away from any news or talk of the events and am hoping like crazy that he doesn't hear about it from elsewhere. I wish I didn't have to hear about it, never mind a 4 year old.

sarah0323 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I have with some of them. I told my 13YO when she got home from school. I wanted her to be prepared before she read it on facebook or the news. My 8YO we talked about it a little bit but in a different way from the 13YO. The LO's we haven't told them anything.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Thankfully, my kids are 5 and 3, too young to hear about it. It hit clost to home because DS is in kindergarten and I have a nephew who is 7.

crunk05177 responded:
I have not told Michael who just turned 6. I did not think he should have to know such a horrible thing. I made sure to keep him away from the news, even going as far as asking the guys to change the channel at the pizza place. However, after hugging him extra hard this morning and sending him off to school, I figured I should have maybe told him a little something because what if he hears something at school?
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

laney0705 responded:
We just told Ryder that something really sad happened. His school left a message and sent a letter home. It didn't mention that they would talk about and I'm hoping they don't. I plan to ask Ryder tonight if he's heard anything on the bus or at lunch time about anything bad happening to kids recently. I just don't want to freak him out about someone doing this in his school I'm already freaked out enough.
Me(43)DH(40)DS(6)DD(3)

baby1at35 replied to laney0705's response:
How is everyone doing with this?
The boys school has tightened security and the police are out front. Extra security guard ect.
Some idiot yesterday posted some crap on a website. Others turned him in and the threat was not valid. The police put him on a mental health hold though. Got a call from the district re: it. Nothing like a higher anxiety level on this.
Let's hope today is not eventful.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

sarah0323 replied to baby1at35's response:
We already had a sherrif officer assigned to our school district. The city police has also been closer to the school during drop off and pick up times. On Monday the Jr./Sr. High wore Green and White in rememberance. (I think they also had a moment of silence) The Jr/Sr High reminded all students of the safety policies. The Elementary school hasn't really done anything. We already had to be buzzed in before you could enter the school. They also have security camera's that monitor the school. For us it was more of enforcing the policies that were already there (though they were enforcing them).

We had 2 police officers killed Sunday night so there has been more focus on that then the CT tragedy here.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

KC~ lucky mom to DD1 (9), DS (7) and DD2 (4)

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.