Skip to content
How did the school day go?
iocasta posted:
Levi remains blissfully unaware. His teacher sent an e-mail at the end of the day to let the parents know that it was normal first grade day with the most challenging conversation was whether "Jingle Bells Bat Man Smells" is an appropriate classroom song. Also, if your dog licks your elf does he lose his powers? Hopefully, it will stay this way. His teacher will continue to monitor and is prepared to discuss the topic if necessary. She let us know that she has had experience and training in talking with young children about tragedy. She was a Kindergarten teacher at the American International School in Hong Kong during 9/11. How was your LO's school day?

baby1at35 responded:
The boys had a good school day. I am glad that I had the discussion with them. Henry actually knew some tidbits that he heard at the Y this weekend so I needed to have the conversation. Tre didn't know until I told him. They asked questions I answered honestly.
To be honest in our world death has been a part of it early. They unfortunately understand it better than most kids their age. I was worried it could bring up some issues we have dealt with in the past but they did great today. School had counselors available so that was a comfort to me as well.
I wasn't going to tell them but I am glad that I was able to as I believe they would have heard it eventually.
The school did a moment of silence and explained the flag at half mast and why.
What the most precious part after telling them was they got down on their knees all on their own and prayed for those lost and those mourning. I felt that maybe I did something okay so far as they showed a lot of compassion at such a young age.
But me... my heart is breaking in a million pieces. I can't say I am handling it as well as my children. I know the pain of losing someone and do not wish that on anyone. But these circumstances I simply cannot fathom. It is simply awful.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

laney0705 responded:
I plan to talk to Ryder tonight to see if he's heard anything from other kids at school. I really don't think I can explain it very well b/c every time I start to talk about what happened I break down and cry. It's just too terrible. Every morning I wake up the first thing I think about is the mothers of those children who are waking up to the nightmare all over again.
Me(43)DH(40)DS(6)DD(3)

Spotlight: Member Stories

proud dad of 2 kids, one is 4 1/2 & the baby is 4 months old (born june 2010). married for 13 years & live in the sunny south.....i'm an a...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.