Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
4 year old overly friendly/esteem issues?
Zoer posted:
I have a 4 year old daughter who is extremely friendly. She will go up to anyone and everyone regardless of age and have very charming, beautiful conversations. She is extremely gentle and empathetic. I love that she has such a great heart, however, at preschool, the other children don't seem to like her and tell her to go away when she wants to play. She was even hit once with a closed fist by another 4 year old girl! At home, she talks about these incidents in a sort of matter of fact, unemotional, way but admits that it makes her feel "bad and sad" that she is not liked. She even points out that some of the boys don't know her name "even though" she "knows their names." She says she "still loves" those kids at the school and will continue to try to make them like her and even tries to hug them at school which, naturally, leads to them pushing her away. No matter how many times I tell her that people that make her feel bad are not worthy of her time, she insists on trying to be friends with them. Is this normal? I can't understand why she would have such low self esteem. I never ever put her or other people down and actually I do the very opposite and always tell her how wonderful she is. Is this a phase or age-related or does she have a psychological problem that I should treat her for? I'm worried she will develop a complex from constantly being rejected by her peers.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.