Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't get my kids to take medicine!! Going crazy here!!!
crunk05177 posted:
We have all been diagnosed with the flu. The pediatrician gave us all tamiflu. I can't get the kids to take it!! I even had it flavored at cvs. Michael is also on amoxicillin for strep and that's a daily battle to get him to take that too!! Does anyone have kids who refuse to take meds? And what do you do?
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

sarah0323 responded:
I bribe them. Ice cream or a pop ice normally works. I found that mine will take pills better than liquid.

Hope you all feel better soon.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle responded:
I agree with PP. Bribery works pretty well here. Are they refusing to take it, or gagging it all out when they try? I have a serious talk about how they HAVE to take the medicine and explain how it will help. Then I have a treat standing by for as soon as the meds go down.

Emily takes a pill REALLY well now, too. She likes it so much better than liquid meds.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
My mom used to give Starburst candy to my brother to get him to take his amoxicillin.

valoispq responded:
In the hospital we used to crush pills in apple sauce or pudding, liquid too if nec'y. If you're using a seringe, aim toward the back of the mouth but go in thru the side so they don't gag.

crunk05177 responded:
Thank you everyone for your advice! I have never had a problem giving my kids ANYTHING until this time around. I can't believe he wouldn't take the amoxicillin....after much bribing and threatening to go to the hospital for a shot (which doc said was true) I would finally get him to do it. I am SO glad that is over!

We had seen a different pediatrician that normal who gave us the Tamiflu so after forcing two doses on Nathan, I called our pediatrician and he said he wouldn't have even prescribed it. He only would have if we were extremely extremely sick but we all had mild cases. He said to just get rid of it, so I did and we were all fine.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

crunk05177 replied to valoispq's response:
Would the pills be too much medication for little kids though?

sarah0323 replied to crunk05177's response:
Ask your doctor for dosage instructions. When the dr. is getting ready to write out the prescription I ask if a pill is an option. The dr. will normally give them a prescription in the pill form.

Before Cristopher could swallow a pill we had to have several of his medications compounded into a liquid (they only came in pill form). Colby won't take liquid allergy meds any more. The dr. has us cut the pill in half. There are certain drugs that they still have to take as a liquid.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

earleyml1012 replied to sarah0323's response:
When my 4 yr old has anti-biotics I give her a small candy and a cup of water afterwards. This seems to make the whole experience better for her.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.