Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anesthesia and Toddler
crunk05177 posted:
DS2 was born with a crooked toe that never corrected as he grew. It is his fourth toe and lies under the third toe which never touches the ground. It doesn't bother him now but I am worried it will when he gets older and if he is in sports. The orthopedist assured me he would suffer from pain and blisters during excercise. I want the surgery done now while he is young, risilient and will most likely not remember it. However, I am nervous to give him anesthesia at such a young age. A friend of mine who works for a podiatrist said they do that same procedure in her office but they just numb the foot and do it. If it were me, I would want to be put out for it. I was put out to get my tooth pulled! LOL! I would like to get others opinions so please share
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

mrswhitecastle responded:
Did your friend say they did the procedure on kids with only numbing the foot? Sometimes procedures are different if it is a child versus an adult.

Can you make an appointment with your friend's podiatrist? Once talking with that doctor, you may feel more comfortable doing the procedure without anesthesia.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

earleyml1012 responded:
It can definitely be scary thinking about putting your toddler under anesthesia for something that isn't life threatening. We had to make this decision last January (wow it's been a year!) DD#1 had about 4 cavities that weren't terrible but the dentist said there was no way that a 3 yr old would sit still long enough to fill them but he was afraid to trumatize her since she is a great dentist patient. So he suggested that we go to an oral surgery center and have her put under anesthesia to fill them, which would only take 45-60 mins. I was super nervous about it but everything worked out fine. The nurses were great with her before the procedure, explaining how she was going to get a mask that would blow air and that she needed to breathe it in. She was able to bring her stuffed Piglet with her as a comfort item and they gave her stickers and small toy before to show her how proud they were of her. The worse part was when she came out of it b/c she was disoriented and screamed for a while...which is 100% normal in small children. Anyway, we had a good experience with it and I have a friend who has two sons who both had tubes in their ears and they did fine too.

I agree with the previous poster though and would visit the podiatrist to learn more about the in office procedure. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

earleyml1012 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Oh plus it will be cheaper to have it done without the anesthesia...we had to pay $1,000 just for that part of the procedure. Yours may be considered medically necessary so insurance might cover it.

tlkittycat1968 replied to earleyml1012's response:
When my little brother was born, his circumsicion wasn't done right and there was a small piece of foreskin still attached. It did hurt him as he grew so he had to have surgery to get it removed. On the way home from the procedure, he had a reaction to the anesthesia and threw up in the car. Unfortunately, my mom was on the freeway and there wasn't anything she could do or anywhere she could stop.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the father of two girls, aged 4 and 6.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.