Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Summer Camp
iocasta posted:
I signed Levi up for summer camp today. It is a day camp. The camp opened up for registration today and if you don't do it today you are pretty much locked out. Anyway, it is a ray of hope while we are in this frigid weather. Anyone else already signing up or looking into day camp or even overnight camp? We are a year away from overnight camp.

seeit2 responded:
That sounds like a nice idea. Not really an option for us with the allergies but man would I love it lol! I know you guys are freezing out right now - hope you are staying as warm as possible.

I might pack the kids in the car and spend a month at home in NY this summer. Would be a nice change and chance to get out of the Texas summer heat.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

baby1at35 replied to seeit2's response:
I think I am going to do the Y this summer for camp while I work. They do a different theme each week. I want the boys active while I am at work. They do not have open house for it until March. Not sure if I will wait until then or just go ahead and reserve the space now. They waive the registration fees in March (which is weird to me that if you sign up early you have to pay for them....but anyway)
The Y is right around the corner from work so it is only 5 minutes away. Yippee!
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

iocasta replied to seeit2's response:
Deb a month in NY sounds like a nice alternative to being in Texas during the summer. The summer day camp that Levi goes to is run by a different private school, which also has a strong food safety program. You might want to look into local private schools around you that run summer camps.

crunk05177 responded:
I have been making phone calls nonstop trying to find the perfect place for everyone this summer. I thin kI am going to send Michael to a Boy Scout Day Camp. The program sounds great. He LOVES boy scouts and isn't very much into sports so I think this would be a wonderful place for him. The ONLY downfall is that it is 45 min away. He would get bussed to and from every day and apparently they have a leader on the bus who keeps them occupied.

Nathan (3 and has a severe peanut allergy) is going to go to one of two preschools. One has more of a "camp" program and the other has 6 weeks of actual pre school and then water play for outside time. I am going to start a new thread asking for opinions on this one place.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

seeit2 replied to iocasta's response:
Sandra I would totally do the Y if it were an option for me, I love that they keep they kids moving all day and am a strong supporter of their community programs. Steph, the private schools are a decent idea, I may look into that - if I don't end up going to NY for sure. Texas summers really aren't that bad, as long as you have a pool to fall into every afternoon. But I would earn some serious grandparent brownie points if I dragged the kids to NY for the summer.

earleyml1012 responded:
Both of my kids are in daycare but I was just wondering about these day camps. Are they all day programs that you can drop them off before work and pick them up at the end of the day? Kind of like daycare? Would you mind telling me what the average cost is? DD#1 goes to school in 2 yrs (I know it's still a long time) and we've been debating what to do with her during the summers. Our center does have a summer program for school aged kids but I was wondering if these Y programs or other camps were cheaper.

iocasta replied to earleyml1012's response:
The day camp that Levi attends is a traditional day camp with typical camp type activities like swim, sports, field trips, crafts, music, art . . . . It goes for 8 weeks though you can just do a single 4 week session, so he will have the month of August free. It goes from 9 to 3 but you can do early drop off or extended day for an extra fee. The 8 week session without early drop off or extended day is $2,900, with extended day AM and PM it is $4,600. I haven't a clue how this compares but I don't think these type of programs are likely a good fit where you need full time day care for the entire summer. I know that parents that need full time care that want to go the summer camp route have to cobble together several different programs through out the summer or hire a summer baby sitter. I know that the park district offers a summer long day camp but it wouldn't be a good fit for Levi. I know these programs are much cheaper.

seeit2 replied to earleyml1012's response:
My local YMCA runs day camp on a week-by-week basis through the whole summer break. It is $130.00 a week if you are a member and $180.00 a week if not. Hours are 7-6:00. The camp runs indoors/outdoors at the Y and takes one relevant field trip in the community per week. I don't know how that compares to other Y's around the country.

Now that I look at it, I could probably sign DD up for a week and just supply her food for her. It would take some doing beforehand but it might be a good break for us during the summer if we stick around...

kc_94920 responded:
We've tried several summer day camps through the years when the older two were smaller but finally settled on one that they all LOVE and look forward to each year. It's called Camp Galileo and is science and art based but also has a great outdoor activity component. The weekely themes are very interesting and they have 9-3 hours with the option of extended hours to make it 8-6; I believe and a half-day option for my soon to be 5 year old.

Registration just started and I got a great discounts for enrolling them early and for multiple sessions. DS and DD2 will go for 4 weeks and DD1 for 1 week. The cost averages out to be a little less than 300 per week or $2600 for them to all go.

DD1 will also attend a 3-week theater camp which is $1200 and both DS and DD1 will go away for 2 weeks this August. That runs close to 5k with our sibling and early enrollement discount. DH and I always joke that school tuition is cheaper than their summer stuff.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.