Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Starting preschool - suggestions?
miob posted:
I was planning to wait until fall to put DS in preschool - he's 4, but misses the cutoff for kindergarten this year. However, he's the only older child left at his home daycare and he's bored with all the new babies who have started. So, we're starting him next Monday.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the transition easier? He'd been going to the same home daycare since he was 3 months old, so this is the first big transition. He seems excited, but I'm not sure how he'll be when I actually leave that day. We've visited a few times to get him accustomed to the place, but I'm still nervous. Thoughts?

earleyml1012 responded:
Does he have to bring a lunch or nap things? If so, I'd let him pick them out and make a big deal over these things. Also, just talk to him about how exciting it will be and only talk about scary stuff if he brings it up. Just try to be an encourager!

Our kids switch daycares back in June and we were worried about our then 3 yr old the most but she adjusted great! They are more flexible then we realize. Every once and awhile she'll talk about the old center but I really think she loves the new place.

miob replied to earleyml1012's response:
Thanks. I'm hoping it will be a good change. He has picked out his lunch bag, a new backpack and a nap mat. We're going to bring them over this week to set them up so it's all ready when he goes in on Monday.

I am now on the email list for the center. Today's was about the illnesses going around the center (flu, RSV, strep and pneumonia) - I feel like he's jumping straight into the germ factory!

kc_94920 responded:
He'll do great, in fact, assuming the class is full of active happy 4-year olds, I bet he'll find a friend or two within the first hour and within a week it will be as familiar as ever.

My pre-k'er is a social whirlwind. She loves to play, create, build, climb, run and sing. She also loves to learn, make new friends and experience life without me there. I think most kids are similar and find comfort in new enviroments much easier than we do.

I guess my advice would be to NOT let him pick up on your nervousness. Best of luck!
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

miob responded:
So far, so good. Today was the first day and drop off was a breeze. His teacher got him settled in as soon as we got there. I stayed for a few mintues, told him I was leaving and got a simple 'bye Mommy'.

Just called to check up halfway through the day and they said he's doing great. He's participating and having fun. Hopefully today will be a good experience and he won't mind going back tomorrow!

earleyml1012 replied to miob's response:
That's great! It's amazing how fast they adapt to new surroundings. My little girls did great too when we switched them, I think I was more nervous than they were. Keep us posted on how the rest of the week goes.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.