Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
3.5 year old wakes up between 1-3 and won't go back to sleep
melbablue posted:
I have a sweet 3.5 year old boy who does not sleep through the night. It isn't that he wakes up a number of times and goes back to sleep, but that he will wake between 1 and 3 am and NOT go back to sleep. He doesn't cry, doesn't complain just talks and plays in his room - sometimes loudly. I have tried laying down with him (I have found this to be the least effective method), talking him to his dreams, rubbing his back, making him sit up and just calm down through breathing (which works the best but takes a great deal of time in the middle of the night). He does not take naps regularly but if he does the problem is worse. I have a 12 month old (great sleeper thus far) and another baby due in June. My husband and I are about at wits' end. This sleep deprivation - for me - is getting beyond what I can handle. I can't imaging what it will be like if we are still battling this summer with a newborn, besides the fact that I am worried about my little guy. Any advise?

seeit2 responded:
You must be exhausted! Is he hungry? My DS gets up really early when I don't feed him enough the night/day before. I have gone so far as to bring him a bowl of dry cheerios at 4am to nibble on, he usually goes to sleep after that (he is also about 3-1/2 now). Otherwise I would say do your best to wear him out in the evening - maybe physical exhaustion will make him stop. GL

Deb
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.