Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Repeating a Grade
sarah0323 posted:
Well I knew it was coming. Report cards came out the middle of January and Cris' weren't so good. The teacher and I met and she recommended holding him back again. I am torn. He will now be 2 years older than the other kids in his class. Even with his IEP and receiving services he still isn't doing very well in school. He is in 1st grade but is working at a beginning Kindergarten level (which is progress from the beginning of the year). I decided, against my SO's wishes, to hold him back again. I'm feeling that it is more important that he get the basics down. My SO was "pushed" through school and graduated high school but can't read at a 3rd grade level.

We are being referred to a teaching hospital for some evaluations (Autism, Neurology, IQ testing). He just isn't like other kids. He is emotionally detached from just about everything except animals. He is so hard to parent. He's just different. I just want to find out what we can do to help him.

Here is my question how do I tell him he isn't going to be going on with his class. When do I tell him? The hard thing is he know he's "that" kid in class. He tries so hard but he keeps getting further and further behind.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

iocasta responded:
Have you looked into other school options? Holding a child back two years in a row is going to be very rough.

mrswhitecastle responded:
That is a really tough call. I think I might wait to make the decision until the evaluations at the teaching hospital were complete.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (6)

crunk05177 responded:
I think you should wait as well. Wait until you get all of the test results and make your 100% final decision. Being in a typical classroom may not be working for him and he may do better in a different type of setting.

I work part time at Sylvan Learning Center and something like this may be beneficial to him. It is phonics based and they will assess him to figure out what exactly he needs to work on. They will personalize his lesson to this. It can't hurt to look into.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Getting married in 3 weeks to my hunny who ive been with for 6 years. We have a soon to be 5 year old son together, and we are expecting baby number 2...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.