Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reading aloud (brag and wonder)
seeit2 posted:
Remember when my DD was three and four years old and our speech therapist wanted to diagnose her as selectively mute? She would not even speak aloud to her own grandparents. I found out the other day that DD read aloud to a group of 5 adults, and she only knew one of them. I just think this is so amazing. She didn't even mention it to me, I heard about it at her IEP meeting.

I HATED reading aloud when I was a kid - I hated the pressure and having all that attention focused on me. Apparently DD sees it as no big deal. How they grow, huh?
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

iocasta responded:
Awesome job Lily!!! I know Levi's school puts a big emphasis on public speaking starting at Pre-school, which is great. They are so comfortable with talking to a large group. I'm a lawyer and still hate it. I wish I had the same kind of support as when I was young. Again, great job!!!!

mrswhitecastle responded:
That's awesome! Great job, Lily!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (6)

sarah0323 responded:
Great Job Lily!!
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

baby1at35 replied to sarah0323's response:
That is fantastic !
I was the very shy kid when I was young. I truly couldn't even order from a waitress at a restaurant. It worried my Mom so much.
My Mom got me in several activities and I find it fascinating that I am comfortable now giving presentations. My biggest one was at work for over 300 people. Of course nervous but hey I apparently outgrew my extreme shyness
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

laney0705 responded:
Way to go Lily! This type of confidence will be so beneficial to her as she gets older.

I'm a terrible public speaker. I get so nervous and my cheeks turn bright red and I speak really really fast. I should bring this up at our next parent teacher conf to see if they incorporate any speaking in front of the class for the kids.
Me(43)DH(40)DS(6)DD(3)

earleyml1012 replied to laney0705's response:
That's great! My confidence with reading aloud or presenting in front of a group is not very good...maybe that's why I choose to be an accountant. After graduating, I actually considered going back for my teaching degree but then realized I'd have to teach either high school or college if I wanted to teach business/accounting. Very scary thought so I've never gone back.

My 4 yr old is very out spoken at home, loves resighting stories to us and even "reads" books to her baby sister, so I'm hoping she gets my husbands outgoing personality. However, she can be very shy when we see friends we know outside of our house or her daycare.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather (29) and have been married for about 6 1/2 years to my DH (32). We got married on our 8th anniversary. We have two beautiful boys. ...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.