Skip to content
Lunch at School
mrswhitecastle posted:
Ugh. Lunch at school has become a battle with Emily. She isn't eating enough. If I buy lunch, she only drinks the milk and eats a few bites. If I pack lunch, she still only eats a few bites. I've tried having her pack lunch, and still she doesn't eat. She is a slow eater, so combining that with her love of talking, and she eats hardly anything.

Any ideas on how to get her to eat more??? I've run out of ideas.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (6)

iocasta responded:
Do nothing, unless she is severely underweight or it is harming her studies. Most days, Levi barely eats his lunch. Mostly, because he is so limited in what he will eat. Some days he eats nothing. Others, it might be a couple of piece of melon or salad, as he puts it, which is carrots. If they are hungry, they will eat. He has widen what he will eat because of this. If Emily is hungry, she will talk less and eat faster. Being a light eater, is a good thing in my book. We, as a culture, tend to want to eat too much.

kc_94920 responded:
I agree, do nothing.

Logan is not a big eater during lunch either and after many months of stressing over it, I've had to let it go. I packed his lunch for K and 1st grade so I pretty much know how little he eats but when he begged to buy lunch for 2nd grade, I hoped things would change. Not sure they did although his sister tells me he does "ok". I pack him a protein and veggie snack (which he eats or he knows "hot lunch" will stop for him) and make sure his breakfast and dinner are healthy and well balanced. All in all, he's growing well and thriving at school so I have to let him be the decision maker at lunch.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

baby1at35 replied to kc_94920's response:
I have let this go a bit too. However I do know when they do not eat lunch at school...they are starving when they come home- grumpy ect.
I remind them how important having a good lunch is and it is their decision. I also am pushing them eating at school more it has for us had them trying other foods which makes me happy. Tre now eats carrots (my none fruit /veggie eater .. Yippee! ) They have tried other fruits /veggies because they may get a note (a power student note from the teachers for trying. Love this!
I pack every now and then as a treat but they do not eat that either.
Anyway I feel your pain but I had to stop stressing about it.
They have learned to eat other foods if they are hungry they will try.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

tlkittycat1968 responded:
DS will sometimes only eat a few bites of his sandwich and his juice box. When grandma picks him up from school, she brings a snack of fruit and cheese and a sippy cup of juice. When daycare picks him up, he'll eat a snack when he gets to her house. The kids also bring in snacks for the whole class for the week on a rotating schedule and I know he'll at least eat the snack.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

mrswhitecastle responded:
Thanks everyone. I'm just going to let it go. I'll probably start packing lunch more so that when she doesn't eat, I at least won't be wasting so much money. I think I'm also going to start being a little more creative when packing lunch. More leftovers and less of the standard pack lunch food.

As long as she is acting fine, I'll quit asking her what she ate. In this instance, perhaps ignorance is bliss!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (6)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather (29) and have been married for about 6 1/2 years to my DH (32). We got married on our 8th anniversary. We have two beautiful boys. ...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.