Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Conferences today...
baby1at35 posted:
I have such a jam packed day. Boys are at school care. I have a meeting way across town this morning for work. Then I race across town for their conferences. Race back to the middle where the boys are to take them to the book fair and then race across the other side of town for their martial arts class tonight.
Lots of car time.
And why do I always get nervous before conferences?
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

mrswhitecastle responded:
Wow. You are going to be busy today.

I get nervous before conferences, too. I'm more nervous now, then when my Mom went to my conferences.

We have student-led conferences. Does any other school do this? I hate it. I liked the time with the teacher to see what (s)he thinks about how DD is doing. Not DD telling me what she is doing in school - she's already told me that.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (6)

iocasta responded:
How did the conference go? Ours will be at the end of the month. I don't dread them anymore now that Levi has settled down socially at school and is thriving academically. But I know how you feel.

baby1at35 replied to iocasta's response:
So some advice needed: I will explain here...

Both boys are doing well. Socially great although Tre can fin tune some listening to directions (which I knew!) Tre is a math whiz on 2nd grade math. So his teacher is trying to challenge him in math. However reading he is struggling a bit which I knew.
Henry is really doing well. His reading excelled (my reading whiz) and math ect.
Tre is borderline summer school for reading and I do have option. I am torn but I think I may do it. I think it can only help and not hurt. Henry can be considered as well not because he is behind ect. Actually they offer it (which is way different than the other school) because they do not have many behind but want to excel them further . (They have the highest test scores in the city). So it is the month of June and I think it will work out nice (perfect for my work schedule). Not sure how the boys will take it but it is more relaxed learning than regular school. Anything to boost Tre's reading and Henry will just excel further.
So thoughts on summer school? They move in sections from each classroom and have different teachers throughout the day. Henry's teacher is teaching it . Love her she is such a natural teacher...firm hand/yet nurturing. Perfect mix.
Anyway I had some camps planned which they won't be able to do but will send them to Y camp for July. They go back the 14th of August now

crunk05177 replied to baby1at35's response:
The way I look at it is that not only will it help them but it is free child care! I say go for it. They are still young enough to enjoy school...I think if they were older it would be more of an issue. I don't know if our school offers summer school for this age but I know Michael would benefit from it greatly!
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

iocasta replied to baby1at35's response:
I say do it. Bill it as a summer reading camp and not summer school. Treat it along the lines of a library summer reading program.

baby1at35 replied to iocasta's response:
Thanks. I think I will do it. Tre is not that far behind in reading so this can only put him where he needs for 2nd grade. Henry will be able to fine tune things for 3rd grade.
It is just different at this school and I think I really was taken a bit back .. just unexpected.
Plus yes free childcare. So I do not have to pay for the month of June.
I was just trying to think how to explain it and the summer reading camp/math camp thing should work.
So off we go to another adventure.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather (29) and have been married for about 6 1/2 years to my DH (32). We got married on our 8th anniversary. We have two beautiful boys. ...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.