Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Car Seats
mrswhitecastle posted:
Boy, it seems like a long time since I've thought about car seats! Emily is quickly approaching 8, and I believe the law in Missouri is that she will no longer be required to be in a booster seat. I need to research the height/weight aspect of it before I decide if I will let her go without one. IMO, it isn't a big deal to continue using the booster. They are so easy to move around, plus they have cup holders! She's excited to go without, though. I guess it makes her feel older.

So, have any of your DCs graduated from the booster yet? When do you think they will?
Emily (7) Elizabeth (6)

sarah0323 responded:
Jacob has. The only reason is he sits in the middle seat in the back of the van and it only has a lap belt otherwise I would of have him use the booster a little longer. He gave it up when he was 8. Technically he still isn't big enough to not use one. In Kansas they are supposed to be 8YO, 80 pounds and taller than 4' 9".

Cristopher will turn 8 in July. He won't be giving his up. He just isn't big enough. He is 48" and 50 pounds. As much as he doesn't want to ride in it I'm going to have him ride in his booster for a while longer.

They are safer in a booster IMO. I also rear faced longer than 1 YO. Though Emily wasn't 20 pounds until almost her 2nd birthday. Good Luck in your decision.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

iocasta responded:
We aren't there yet. In Illinois, once they are 8 they can go without a booster but the state recommends staying in a booster until the child is 80 lbs and 57 inches. I'm not sure if we will wait that long. Levi will likely be 57 inches by the time he is 8 or shortly thereafter but it will be several years before he reaches 80 lbs given his track record on weight. Ultimately, you have to decide what makes you feel most comfortable.

earleyml1012 replied to sarah0323's response:
Sarah - the recommendation is now rear facing until they are 2 yrs old! Thankfully it wasn't that way with DD#1 b/c she wasn't happy rear facing until she hit the 20lb mark, which was 18 months. Luckily with DD#2 she has her sister to keep her occupied while rearfacing. She's been well over the 20lb mark for months but we're still waiting out the 2 yrs (she's 16 months).

crunk05177 replied to earleyml1012's response:
The recommend two years for rear facing infants as well but the law is only 1 year. I know so many people who turn them around before 1 year. It kills me!!

Michael is only 6 but I still have him in a 5 pt harness. He can technically go into a high back booster but he is still under the height and weight limits to be officially out of the 5 pt. I feel that is the safest place for him to be so that is where he will stay lol.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Technically, DS should probably still be in a 5 point harness because he's just barely at 40 lbs but he's over 42 inches. The booster seat I have him in has a minimum weight of 30 lbs. It says I can take off the back once he reaches 40 lbs but I lost the adapter and need to get a new one.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

kc_94920 responded:
Logan turned 8 in January but still happily sits in his high back boost. He's 53"tall and weighs 55 pounds but the seats in my SUV are huge and the seat belt cuts across is neck without the belt positioner in is booster. My oldset, who is a comfort and safety freak, finally gave up her higback booster at 10 but stil uses the no-back version to help ensure the belt lays across her chest properly. She is 55" tall and weighs 65 pounds. I figure is the recommendations are 80 pounds or 57" so we may as well follow them- luckily they wholeheartedly agree.

DD2, who just turned 5, is still in her 5-point harness Recaro seat. I will transition her to a high-back booster, like I did with the others sometime in K (or right around when she turns 6 years old).
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Beth and I have been married to my wonderful husband for almost 6 years. We have a 4 1/2 year old son and a 3 month old son. I am the accou...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.