Temper Tanturms - 16 month old
earleyml1012 posted:
I'm posting here b/c the 1 year old boards are dead. So DD#1 was such a good baby/toddler that I honestly don't know what to do with temper tamturms. DD#2 about a month ago started throwing fits at diaper changing time, we thought it was due to her being sick. Well it's gotten worse, now the last few nights she SCREAMS at bathtime (which she use to love...run to the tub) and continues to scream until she's dressed/teeth brushed. At first I thought it was b/c her big sister was still in the tub and I forgot to tell her to put her toys away before getting her out. Well last night, she started screaming the moment we put her in the tub and didn't stop until she was in her bed, where she automatically calmed down and put herself to sleep like always. Most mornings she hates being woken for daycare and cries a little but this morning it was the same battle as at bath time the last few nights. DH had to hold her down so I could get a diaper on her. After her diaper/pants were on, I put her in the corner to let her know that her scream behavior was not good. She calmed down after a few minutes and finished dressing her but as soon as I told her it was time to brush her teeth the screaming fit started again. She has always had a strong personality...I need help before this gets totally out of control.

lenono97 responded:
Not sure if I can help much, just relate! My son is 19 months. He tries to fight diaper change as well. However, he has had a rash on and off for a few months so I think that's his issue, he is afraid it will hurt. We have also noticed an increase in screaming behavior over the last few months. I think it's a communication problem. He isn't really talking yet and doesn't know how else to tell us what he wants. I try to be firm. For example, you can't stand and scream about a snack, it's either A or B, if you don't chose, then nothing. Honestly, I have even walked away for a few minutes so we can both calm down. Good luck!

earleyml1012 replied to lenono97's response:
Well not that I'm happy your son is doing the same but I'm glad to hear she's normal. Last night it was the same again. The only thing I can think of is that she's so exhausted that the poor kid just wants to go straight to bed without a bath. It's part of the routine plus she's in daycare so I need to get those germs off of her nightly. Hopefully once she's completely transitioned to her new daycare class this will get better b/c I've heard she's not napping long enough in the infant room after playing so hard all morning in the toddler room. They said the toddlers nap better once they are in a room that's completely quiet, music and everyone is sleeping. In the infant room the other babies are on different schedules since they are so much younger.

Olivetre replied to earleyml1012's response:
I go through this also...it comes and goes in phases. I have noticed that it happens more when she is learning some kind of new skill.

earleyml1012 replied to Olivetre's response:
She just transitioned to the toddler room at daycare so I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. Last night bath went much better but my parents were visiting, so maybe she was good b/c they were there? I'm hoping this stage is over soon, it's tiring.