Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Major Constipation
mrswhitecastle posted:
TMI, sorry.

Elizabeth is really, really constipated. We deal with it on a fairly regular basis, but it's never been this bad before. I give her Miralax a couple of times a week, and she got it a few days ago.

Well, last night she was sitting on the toilet crying because it hurt so badly. I gave her more Miralax, and finally broke down and gave her an enema. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything. It did make her feel like she didn't have to go anymore, so she quit crying. I called the nurse, and she said to call the pedi if she hadn't gone by this morning. Now Elizabeth says she doesn't have to go. I think she's too afraid to even try going because it hurt so badly.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what I can try? Any good tips to avoid constipation? Any input would be appreciated.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

baby1at35 responded:
I have had to give Miralax to Tre every day. About 1/4 lid ful so to speak. If it is more than it is too much.
I have also found that lemonade helps him. Seriously have no clue why but when he drinks lemonade it helps. Weird I know.
When I can get him to eat his fruits and veggies he has no problems but he is soooo resistance.
I also get him to eat fiber bars, cereal ect which helps too.
It is tough when they hurt like that. I would just give her more medicine and say this will help you go better maybe if she knows that it will help her relax. Poor girl.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

kc_94920 responded:
My kids are wierd and eat multiple servings of fruits/veggies each day and as a result are pretty much always regular. I also give them a DHA capsule and a flax seed oil supplement which seems to help avoid constipation. My nephew deals with it regularily though and my sil has found that Sunsweet Prunes, Raisin Bran and blueberries help keep him regular.

When we travel (and I know their diets will be different than usual) I bring along those Trader Joes fig cereal bars. One of those each morning along with their daily supplements seem to do the trick even when they don't get the best balanced diet. I also keep them hydrated all the time.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

iocasta responded:
Sorry no help here. Luckily we haven't had to deal with this since Levi was a newborn. As an adult caffiene always helps me but somehow I dont think you'll try that trick. Hopefully, things will get moving soon and she feels better.

sarah0323 responded:
Cristopher is very limited on what he will eat. I give him about a half of a cap every day. He only has about 20 foods that he will eat and the only veggie he will eat is corn. He will eat some fruits but theyare hit and miss.

The dr. Had us try a little mineral oil in juice. He wouldn't drink it. Miralax daily helps though so we will stick with it.

Raisin bran always helps me.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

seeit2 responded:
DD's urologist switched her from Miralax to Fiber Choice pills - she takes about 1-1/2 every night with her vitamins. I think it's the same thing just easier to give because it's a pill (and it's OTC). We have not had any issues since the switch, but we did not have a ton with the miralax to begin with.

Could the meds she was on recently have anything to do with it? Have you tried talking to the doc to see what else you can do? It's so hard to see them this way.

How is she doing today?
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

Spotlight: Member Stories

Currently in Rhode Island, DH is active duty military. We've been here a bit over a year, it's our 5th duty station since we were married 11 y...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.