Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tick repellent...do you do anything?
earleyml1012 posted:
During the winter, I have an online friend who said her son was battling complications due to lyme's diease from a tick. Now that it's spring, I began thinking about if I need to do anything to protect my kids. We live in the suburbs of Harrisburg, PA and have a few trees in our yard (maple I think) nothing terribly woody. We do have a dog, which we treat with flea and tick repellent. Does anyone put insect/tick repellent on their kids when they play outside? My husband thinks I'm crazy for worrying about it but those things creep me out. Last year he went canoeing and I found one on his leg when he came back, I thought I was going to throw up pulling it out of his leg. We bathe our girls every night but DD #1 has auburn hair, which is kind of thick and would be harder to see any ticks. I guess I started thinking about this on Friday when I saw her rolling down the hill at daycare. What are your opinions on this topic? There are also spreads that you can do in your yard and have to repeat every 4 months, would you do something like that instead of spraying your child? I know there are all natural repellents, should I use that? Any suggestions would be great!

seeit2 responded:
I use insect spray and treat my dog every year. DD had Lyme disease in the summer of 2010 (we lived in Virginia at the time) and it was not fun. So now I put on a little spray and try to keep her covered when she goes into the tall grass. But in the backyard I don't worry about it too much. Here in Texas we had a lot of West Nile last year too so I figure the spray can help any way I can get!

As far as types of repellant you might want to ask the pedi - treating the whole yard sounds practical but I would hate to have my kids running through chemical all the time. At least with the spray you can pick and choose, kwim?

I would also read up online if you are worried about it - I know they are more active during certain seasons than others. I learned that the hard way.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

miob responded:
We live in the Northeast which has a strong tick population. My nephew had Lyme Meningitis two years ago and was on IV antibiotics for a month with a hospital stay to install an IV port. Just painful to watch. And my dad had the regular Lyme Disease with much less severe symptoms.

That being said, we don't treat our lawn with anything. We use insect repellent but mainly for the mosquitos (west Nile here, too). If DS is outside, we do a full check of his skin - but remember, deer ticks are very small and hard to find. If he's in the woods, it's long pants, long shirt and boots. And we've gotten very adept at taking ticks off the dog - she'll go for her walk in the woods and come back with no less than 5 every time.

I really don't stress about it it. I know the symptoms and know what to look for. In addition to the bullseye which is the most common way to identify Lyme disease, unexplained constant headaches were the other symptom I was unaware of. My mom remembered someone coming in to the Pedi office she worked in with this symptom and as a result insisted they test my nephew for it - that's how he was diagnosed. I think that's the best I can do without keeping him inside 24/7.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Roxanne, mother to Jonathan who's 4 and Chloe and Thomas who just turned 1 year old. I've been married for 8 years now and love my hus...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.