Skip to content
Immunizations - what documentation is required to decline?
SpartanAnnie posted:
First off a little backround - I am a nurse and was a peds nurse for 6 years. I have changed fields in nursing so now I am out of the immunization loop. I DO NOT want to discuss the pro/con list of innoculation. I have made my decision. My oldest is 10 and not immunized on SOME vaccicines. He attends a private school so we don't have an issue with providing documentation there. My youngest daughter Quinn, 5, is entering Kindergarten (public) in Missouri this fall. She got through pre-k with no issues (as I just kept putting the school off). She has horrible reactions to the MMR vaccine (we tried to vaccinate her with individual shots but they stopped making them) so the doc will sign off on that. We do NOT want the chicken pox shot or any further MMR vaccines.

So - what do we have ot provide to the school to pass on those vaccines? I am not willing to state is a religious belief, because it is not. Its my parental right belief

mrswhitecastle responded:
I would contact the school she is going to attend in the fall and ask them. Have you registered her for Kindergarten yet? That would be a good time to talk with the nurse and see what paperwork needs to be filled out.

I am in Missouri, too. I'm not sure the chicken pox vaccine was required to attend. If I remember, and it's been awhile, it was an optional vaccine.

I do know that in Kindergarten, you can't just keep putting them off. There were several students in Kindergarten who had not yet provided their immunization records, and the nurse was ready to tell them they could not attend until they did.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Currently in Rhode Island, DH is active duty military. We've been here a bit over a year, it's our 5th duty station since we were married 11 y...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.