Skip to content
Potty Training
TomsGirl3and88 posted:
I have a 3 year old that i can't get potty trained. She knows how to go to potty but she still goes in her pamper (pull ups). i have tried rewards, i have tried everything...if someone could give me some pointers that would be great

thanks
Gretchen

miob responded:
I would get rid of the pull ups. For DS, it was no different than diapers. Moving him to actually underwear made a huge difference (more laundry for a period of time, definitely, but he picked it up pretty quickly). We also used M&Ms as rewards.

Good luck!

mrswhitecastle responded:
I agree -- get rid of Pull Ups. I remember I had to mentally prepare myself. Prepare for it to be messy for a couple of days, but it will be worth it, IMO.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

earleyml1012 responded:
I agree! We went straight to underwear and for a few days it was messy but she got the hang of it quickly. I tried the M&Ms and those didn't work for my DD, so I went to the Dollar Store and bought a bunch of toys were multiple items came in a pack. Those were her rewards for going potty. Then once she was doing better, we just started giving M&Ms. For some reason she needed a bigger reward at first...guess it made it more exciting/fun to go potty. We also did a piece of paper on the inside of the bathroom door where she'd get a sticker for going as well. She liked to see how many stickers she could get on the paper.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
She might not be ready. We'd try regular underwear on DS but he's still pee/poop in the underwear, no matter how often he was taken to the bathroom. One day though, he didn't want to wear a diaper anymore and then would pee regularly in the potty but would still poop in his underwear/pull-up. It wasn't until a few months after he got the pee that he got the poop part. It just clicked and we've never had an accident, even at night.

BTW, DS was 5 before he was fully potty-trained.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful