Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sealants for teeth?
iocasta posted:
Levi had a cleaning yesterday. His 6 year molars are completely in. The dentist noticed that they are deeply grooved and one is discoloring already in the deep grooves. He suggested that we use a sealant on them to help prevent tooth decay, which we are going to do. I have super soft teeth with tons of filings even though I was an avid toothbrusher. It sounds easy enough but was wondering if anyone else has done this.

mrswhitecastle responded:
It's funny you mention this, Emily has an appointment in 2 weeks to have hers sealed, too. The dentist said that she has deep groves. Insurance covers most of it. They said it would be like painting their nails -- easy and painless. The hardest part would just be keeping the tooth dry while they did it.

I remember having mine sealed as a kid, too.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

baby1at35 responded:
We have an appt. in July for sealants. Dentist said like painting their teeth. I think it is a good idea. I didn't have it done but I think my brother did and it helped.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

iocasta responded:
That what our dentist said. I guess it must be pretty routine these days. It makes a lot of sense. I wish they did this when I was a kid. It could have save me a lot of dental trauma. I'm just glad that he will be able to do this.

tlkittycat1968 replied to iocasta's response:
My old dentist did it on my permanent teeth. My current dentist says the sealant is old but it's holding up.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

crunk05177 responded:
I remember having it done when I was a kid. It's no big deal at all! Anything to protect the teeth I think is a good idea. We have appts in July, when we go, I am going to ask about it since his molars are in.

While we are talking about teeth, I have a weird question. Michael gets a lot of "calcium buildup" on his teeth as per the dentist. Anything we can do about this?
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Currently in Rhode Island, DH is active duty military. We've been here a bit over a year, it's our 5th duty station since we were married 11 y...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.