Skip to content
DS and School
tlkittycat1968 posted:
We had a meeting with DS' teacher this morning regarding his readiness for 1st grade. She said academically he's ready but behaviorally he's not. She doesn't really recommend holding him back as he may get bored with the work and act out more. He also has developmental issues and needs a lot of work with his fine motor skills. He's going to a new school with a combined kindergarten/1st grade so hopefully that will challenge him enough yet keep him behaving. His neurologist said he had ADD but doesn't like to give meds until after the kids are 6. His next appointment is in November so it's possible after he's on the meds, he may calm down. Here's hoping.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

seeit2 responded:
That's really cool that the school has a combined K and first grade. That sounds like the perfect place for him. Hopefully some treatment for the ADD will help come Fall.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

tlkittycat1968 replied to seeit2's response:
My SIL actually got mad when my mom told her about the K/1st grade DS will be going to. She, my SIL, insists he's not ready because he doesn't kow how to read or add and subtract. Her kids go to a private school in the Bay Area of California and they may teach those things there but not in the public schools here. I think she's comparing him to her daughter who is the same age but way more advanced. My niece was taking Mandarin classes and has always been more advanced than most kids her age.

tlkittycat1968 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Also, his teacher says he's academically ready and I tend to listen more to her than my SIL.

seeit2 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Yes! That is a good thing I think lol!
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

mrswhitecastle replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Ugh -- Comparing kids can only lead to problems!

I agree with you, and would trust the teachers more than family members trying to be "helpful" with their advice.

Glad you have a plan that you and the teachers are happy with!
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

iocasta replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
If the teacher thinks he is academically ready and you think he is ready then he is ready. Levi attends a very selective independent private day school. He classmates came into first grade with a wide range of reading and math skills. Some couldn't read and others were already reading at a 5th grade level. Math skills were similarly across the board. Your SIL can go pound sand. Split class sounds like a prefect solution for your son.

As for the ADD issue, have you looked into intense physical activities to see if that would help without immediately going the med route? Levi isn't ADD but is a high activity guy, he benefited greatly from being in the pool 5 days a week. ADD was one of the reasons Michael Phelps was put in a pool at an early age. Just food for thought.

tlkittycat1968 replied to iocasta's response:
He's been in various therapies (speech, occupational, physical) for a number of years and we figure with all the therapies, a solution would have been found.

The therapies also sort of limit his after school free time since he has therapy after school twice a week and before school once a week. His therapy schedule will probably change when school starts on the fall as his school schedule will change so we'll see.

He's also pretty uncoordinated so I'm worried how well he'd do with physical activites such as sports and the like.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.