Skip to content
Slow Eater
mrswhitecastle posted:
I don't know what to do about this, and it is driving me CRAZY! I have eating issues, and grew up with the 'clean you plate as fast as you can' mentality, which is not healthy, and I don't want to pass on. Hopefully, some of you moms that have a better, more balanced view of eating can help me here.

Emily is such a slow eater. Last night, it took her 1 hour to eat a kid's meal from Qdoba. She will still cheek food at 8 years old. She also does this pretend chew where she puts food in her mouth, and moves her jaw up and down over 100 times (yes, I've counted), but isn't chewing.

We tried setting a timer, which backfired. She ended up puking cauliflower all over the table. Months after cleaning that mess up, I still can't look at cauliflower without wanting to gag.

I don't want to create issues with food, or pass on my issues with it. And, I do think being a slower eater will help her in the long run, but I would like to be able to clean up the table in a reasonable amount of time. How would you handle this?
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 responded:
I would give her an older brother. That worked for me. Mine had a habit of sticking his fork in the food on my plate, raising it in the air, saying "You done with this?" and then eating it. I learned to eat what I liked really fast and leave the rest for him.

Since I suppose that is not possible, could you just let her eat and clean up around her? I always want to sit with my kids when they eat but when my DD is taking forever I just tell her to keep at it and I'm going to clean up. She doesn't seem to care. The mouthing thing is interesting, do you have any idea why she does that?

Just the smell of cauliflower makes me want to puke. :0
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

lenono97 responded:
Sounds really frustrating! My kids are not slow eaters, but my son will push his plate away while I am handing it to him. I also try not to make a big deal of it because I don't want to create food issues. As long as she is eating and wants to eat I don't think I would worry about the slow eating issue. Clean up around her and go about your day. Maybe she will get tired of eating alone and learn to eat faster. Have you talked to the pedi about the chewing and cheeking? Maybe she has a sensory issue you need to explore? Just a thought, good luck!

jlynnpaine responded:
DD1 is SUCH a slow eater. She gets so busy talking that she takes forever. There are times that we have to tell her she can't speak any more until she's taken a few bites. And God help us if we have company or go out to eat because she's even more distracted and has even more to say. I know you had trouble with the timer last time, but I'd try again. I would put a reasonable limit such as 30 minutes. Then clear her plate. If she hasn't eaten much, put it in the fridge and she can reheat it later if she's hungry. Maybe it will help her have an idea of gauging how long she has. Does it help to remind her that she needs to be chewing when there's food in her mouth?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the father of two girls, aged 4 and 6.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.