Skip to content
Getting stuff done?
seeit2 posted:
Is is just me, or is impossible to accomplish anything now that school is out? Before I had one kid in my way when I tried to do stuff like laundry or cleaning and he was young enough to con into "helping" me so it would eventually get done. Now, I swear, I can't manage a thing. It is driving me crazy. I am not a neat freak by any means but my house is trashed enough that even I am getting offended by it. Anyone got any ideas? How do you do it? (Please don't tell me to get up early - there is no way I can drag myself out of bed to clean lol)
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Get a baby-sitter. I'm serious. I've heard of parents hiring a neighborhood teen who may be too young to babysit on their own to entertain the kids while the parent gets stuff done around the house.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

mrswhitecastle responded:
If it is a big project, I'm putting it off until school starts. I want to enjoy our time together as much as possible.

If it is cleaning, I make them help me. My standards are relaxed a lot in the Summer, so we do what absolutely has to be done, and then move on. They strip beds, pick up, dust, and Emily evens vacuums her room. I got magic erasers out last week for them to work on walls/baseboards, and they made up some silly game while they were doing it.

If I am really busy, and they start bothering me, I give them something non-fun to do. Go practice piano, go pick up the toys, go dust the dining room, etc. It has cut down a lot of the unnecessary interruptions. I also think I've only heard "I'm bored" once this summer.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

baby1at35 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I am not getting anything done! But that is normal and I have accepted I cannot have the perfect house I want.
However now that the boys are in Y camp I am able to have more time after work to get things done. I go get them at 4:30 and I get off at 1:30 so I am getting myself organized!
I can leave them there until 6pm if I want but that is a long day for them.
I feel like I am spinning my wheels on so many projects. Wish I could cloan myself and get some help! LOL
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

earleyml1012 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I absolutely agree with the idea of hiring a pre-teen to help babysit. This is actually how I got my start with the family I babysat for up until I left for college. I started at like 12, watching their 9 month old for a few hours while the mom did stuff around the house. Then as I got older, she started leaving her there with me for a few hours. By the time I was a senior in high school there were 3 kids in the family and I even did an overnight job for them as well as go to the beach for a week (all expenses paid, plus spending money). Sweet gig!

seeit2 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Oh man I could use one of those! A local kid is a great idea, thanks for that. Now that we have a little money coming in it may be doable too. I have also just put off a few things until the fall.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom of two adorable munchkins. Crystal, 9-15-06, and Aiden, 5-12-10. My DH, Chad, is the light of my life, and helps try to keep me sane. :D...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.