Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What happened to summer?
baby1at35 posted:
Wow! Summer is flying by. We just got back from a vacation at Wisconsin Dells. We had a great time. But now starts the back to school madness. I can't believe how fast summer is going. However they have us going back earlier this year. All in all added 12 days to the school year. We go back on August 14th. I do not think any of us are ready.
Got school clothes shopping done at the outlet mall in Wisconsin.! Now for school supplies and all the "activities " we have on the calendar before school starts~~
We got our teacher assignments in the mail. I do not know either of them so we shall see. Hoping for a good year. Can't believe we are starting 2nd and 3rd grade. 2013 has definately went by quickly.
So are you all ready for school to start?
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

seeit2 responded:
NO! We start at the end of August. Here they have "Meet the Teacher Night" the week before school starts. You go to school, look on a posted sign to find out who your teacher is, then go meet her. We will have to go to two different schools for this since DS is in speech at a district early learning center. Otherwise we are getting health appts out of the way and just trying to stay cool! I'm not ready to think about going back yet!

My mom grew up in Michigan and vacationed every year in the Dells. She tells some really great stories about childhood vacations there.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

mrswhitecastle responded:
(I know I replied to this post already. Sorry if it shows up twice!)

I can't believe school is about ready to start, either. We only have 1 week of vacation left. The girls already met their teachers and class the last day of school. We go Monday the 12th to drop off school supplies and find their desks. Tuesday the 13th if the official first day. Both of my "babies" will be gone all day long now!!!!

We have all of the supplies bought, and the first day of school outfits picked out. Now we are just trying to cram all of the summer homework into the last week.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

earleyml1012 responded:
My girls aren't in school yet (just daycare) but I agree that this summer has gone by so fast. Just last night I was thinking that there's probably only 3 more weekends that we can hit up the community pool. We just got from vacation last week and it was so nice to be off work and enjoying our kids full time for a few days. It spoiled them/us b/c no one wanted to go back to the "normal" routine.

I love back to school sales even though we aren't buying stuff for school yet. I got both girls little backpacks for day trips for less than $10 a piece and bought supplies for DD#1 birthday party (we are doing an art theme, so super cheap crayons, markers, bins, etc). Next year should be exciting to shop for DD#1 to start kindergarten. I can't belive she'll be going next year. Still feels like she was just a baby!

iocasta responded:
Summer is cruising along for us as well. Levi doesn't go back to school until the Tuesday after Labor Day so we have about another month left. It's been a pretty action-packed summer so far and the weather has been really wonderful here Chicago. His eight week day camp just concluded. This week he has a half-day drawing summer camp. Next week, it's a half-day chess camp. The following week we will be up in Maine. The last week before school starts will be a half-day Lego camp. On top of all this, he had swim practice four/five days a week and a French tutor that comes to the house twice a week. I haven't even started to think about back-to-school shopping. We should learn in the next week or two who his teacher is and who all will be at his class this coming year in second-grade. Two of his best friends wont be returning to the school because of the expense, which is making Levi sad. What is really crazy is I am already investigating sleep away camps in Maine for next summer.

kc_94920 responded:
Our summer is going so well and despite how much I love having them home and spending the extra time together, they are all so excited about school. The Bigs simply can't wait to have their little sister there as a Kindergartener! They don't start schhol for three more weeks but we all know how fast that will go.

They each did 6 weeks of various day camps, everything from Science and Swim camp for DS( to Drama and Sports Camps for DD1(10) and Gymnastics and Tennis Camps for DD2(5).

We've stayed pretty local and mello as far as traveling but did manage to break up their camp weeks and make it up to the cabin for 2 seperate weeks of tennis, hiking, swimming and late night fun.

Just yesterday, I sent off both DD1 and DS to sleep away camp for TWO WEEKS. I'm nervous and already miss them but am so excited for them. DS has been looking forward to this for over a year and has been counting down the days.

I have never had this much time with the little one and we have 2 great weeks planned. This week we have lots of fun activities planned at the children's museums, the zoo, a local theme park as well as some swimming, a play date and a few bike rides. Next week, DH and I will take her to San Diego for some serious two-on-one spoiling. She can't wait to go to Legoland and the beach an will flip out when she discovers the hotel waterslide!

We'll have 9 days with the big kids after they return from camp until school starts and will probably escape back to the cabin to decompress and move our bedtimes up a bit. I took care of all the uniform ordering and supply shopping online so life should be good and the transition back to school pretty painless for all of us.

Enjoy your final days of break everybody!
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

sarah0323 responded:
We start on the 14th. I have spent the summer going from therapy appointment to therapy appointment. I'm ready for them to go back but I'm not because I know that I will have a whole new set of problems to deal with. We went and did our back to school shopping last weekend. I attended an IEP for one of the boys this morning and have 2 more to attend in September. I will take the boys in to meet their teachers on the 13th. I made special arrangements because they are very worried about starting the new school year. I have met their teachers before and I hope that we have a great year.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

crunk05177 replied to sarah0323's response:
We don't start until September 4th and it's only for a day or two and then they are off again for the Jewish holidays. This summer has been great. Michael's last week of Boy Scout camp is next week and Nathan has been going to a pre - k program at the school he will be attending in September. They both LOVE where they are and I have never been happier.

We are hoping Nathan is able to finally get his toe surgery on August 20th....weve postponed it 2 or 3 times already due to colds (allergies, asthma, whatever you want to call it). No more pool or water acitivities for him after this so I am going to try and throw in a few day trips....I want to go to Sesame Place for sure, the petting zoo, and I don't know where else but something good.

I haven't bought clothes yet but I did buy most of there school supplies. Toysrus always has the summer long sale where you get the free lunch box when you buy a backpack so we did that too.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Getting married in 3 weeks to my hunny who ive been with for 6 years. We have a soon to be 5 year old son together, and we are expecting baby number 2...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.