Skip to content
ADD?
An_253159 posted:
I have a 3 year old, who has problems sleeping. He will not stay in his bed, so is now sleeping with his 6 year old brother. Even after this though he just hates sleeping. He thinks everything is funny and loves sneaking out of bed. I feel as though he only listens when I raise my voice, not only at bed time. Does anyone have any pointers on how to get my 3 year old to listen better? My 6 year old has never had issues like this, which makes me alittle concerned.

seeit2 responded:
I have a three year old boy who seems to think sleep is optional. I have to really wear him out during the day in order to get him to sleep all night. And even then, he is up once at least. I put a gate in his doorway so he can't wander the house but I don't get up every single time he does - I found once he stopped getting attention during the night he stopped getting up quite as much. If I've done a good job exercising him then he will sleep from 7pm to about 5:15 am, and then he is up and on crack.

I would look at your son's activity level, how long his naps are (if he naps) , and if he might be in bed too long at night. As for the listening, that might just improve with age. Compliment your older child on his listening skills, maybe the positive attention will wear off.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
Our kids are twins! LOL! My son will be 4 in October but boy does he have energy. He NEVER wants to sleep....I had to cut out napping as well. I push for his sitters not to let him nap no matter how tired he is. Even a 5 min doze will keep him up longer at night!! I agree with the physical activity. Boys NEED a lot of it. We were at a friends house the other day and they have those indoor trampolines....I think I may buy one. In the winter it will be great to get that extra energy out!
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (6) and DS2 - Nathan (3 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather (29) and have been married for about 6 1/2 years to my DH (32). We got married on our 8th anniversary. We have two beautiful boys. ...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.