Skip to content
Met the teachers last night
baby1at35 posted:
So far so good! The boys are now excited to go back to school and be with their friends. Henry however really has only a few of the girls from last years class and one boy . He seems pretty excited though. Henry's teacher is a small petite gal and Henry is just about as tall as her. We laughed about it.
Tre's teacher has many years experience and is a teacher through and through.
They changed their math program this year and some other small changes. All for the good as I see it .
Looking forward to 2nd and 3rd grade!!!!!
We start tommorow. Today they have their last day of Y camp and are going on a field trip to the water park for the "end of summer". (Even though next week we are in the 90's again
Hope everyone is doing well. Just thought I would check in!
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

mrswhitecastle responded:
Glad that they are excited to go back!

What changes did they make to your math program? Our school teaches the "new" math. I was wondering if yours was similar....

Yesterday we met teachers and dropped off supplies. They are at their first day now. I'm counting down the hours until they get home. It was the first time they are riding the bus to/from school, so I'm curious to know how that went, too.

Is your school teaching cursive? When do you switch to letter grades? Emily is going into 3rd this year, and she will learn cursive, and start violin. She is so excited about those 2 things. This will be the first year she will start getting letter grades, too. Before it was numbers to just assess if they knew the concept or not.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

iocasta responded:
We just found out who Levi's teacher will be this year. I was a little worried because this is only her second year at Levi's school and only her fourth year of teaching. I don't know if you remember Levi having a rough JK year because he had a relatively new teacher who didn't understand little boys very well. However after looking at the class roster for the three second grade classes, his teacher has the greatest percentage and number of boys so I think they feel comfortable with her ability to handle young boys. We will meet his teacher the 28th at orientation. I'm excited to hear about what they will be doing this next year in school. He has three more weeks of summer break before going back to school.

baby1at35 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
It is new books called Go Math! I need to read more about what they are doing. From what I gathered it is more than just doing problems but more comprehensive. Also utilizing the computer for math as the testing is all done on the computer.
Another change is no more keeping the kids in for recess for a discpline situation. Their school was already pretty good at this anyway. But now they have to let them have their 1 total recess (15 mins). This is what I fought for 2 yrs ago. Apparently it takes time! Also no more birthday edible treats only toy type treats or Tre's teacher had a great idea of bringing a book in to read to the class and donating the book for his birthday. Love that idea!
And yes they are teaching cursive! It was neat seeing all the names written in cursive on their desks. Henry was super excited about this too. No strings until 4th grade. I may have to look into music lessions for this year.
The boys are looking forward to their year. It is fun to see them so excited.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.